Longfin Danios breeding in main tank?

kstots

I have had my 75 gallon tank for a couple of months and some of the first fish I put in were Longfin leopard danios and Longfin gold danios. I have since had a mini cycle due to a huge swing of pH after adding cholla wood, but now my tank seems stable and all of my parameters are staying steady. I have always had a hard time keeping count of my danios since they are so fast. I purchased 10 to start with, but at one point I only counted 7-8. They share the tank with 14 other fish and some snails and shrimp, so it is an active tank. Recently I have noted that some of my danios seem really small and for a while I though we just had a couple that weren’t growing as quickly as the rest, until this morning when I saw one that was is about an inch, maybe smaller. Is it possible, even with all of the water problems and with all of the other fish that we are unintentionally successfully breeding danios?

carsonsgjs

I suppose it’s a possibility. Danios breed fairly readily and if the eggs aren’t eaten, and the resulting fry aren’t eaten and have places to hide and access to food (which should be readily available in a mature tank), then a few might make it.

BigManAquatics

All it takes is for the eggs to accidentally land in a decent hiding spot and any fry to be smart enough to hide and find something to eat.

mattgirl

Congratulations yes it is very possible. It seems you have provided all they need to hatch and survive long enough to grow into full grown fish. Back when I had danios and a gravel substrate I siphoned out danio fry each time I did a gravel vac.

If I let the mulm settle in the waste water bucket before long tiny fish would start coming out of the mulm. Occasionally I would capture a few of them and grow them out but most of the time I wouldn't look and just go ahead an pour the water on house plants and outside plants. I knew there were newly hatched fish in there but I couldn't keep them all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Angelfishlover123124125
Replies
Views
yeti79
Replies
Views
Diptarco Singha
Replies
Views