Longfin Danio Hanging Out On The Bottom.

pinkguppy

Reaction score
I have a 25 gallon freshwater community, it’s been established 6 months now and water is perfect. All of my fishies are happy and healthy. I normally stock a variety of platies, mollies and guppies, maybe a few tetras. This time around, my boyfriend picked out 3 beautiful longfin leopard danios. I wanted to get more but it was all the LPS had and I haven’t been able to find anymore yet. We’ve had them for 2 months and since I’ve never had danios before, I’ve had a hard time figuring out what gender they are. There’s definitely one boy and one girl. The third one, the one that’s hanging out at the bottom, I think is also a boy. They’ve pretty much doubled in size since we got them and they must be “of age” now. I’ve read that male danios pick a female and stay with her, I’m not sure if that’s true or not, but I have noticed that the definite male chases the loner away when he swims up towards the top where they used to all twirl around together. I’m just curious if adding another female or two would help my little buddy out? I’m going to check the LPS again here soon and hopefully they’ll have restocked. I’m just worried about the little guy.

Also, since he’s being picked on, should I separate him? I have a 10 gallon tank with a gourami and a couple rasboras in it, I’m just afraid he’ll be lonely by himself. It’s gotta be better than being bullied, though?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you get at least one more longfin leopard? (My fave btw). My LF hunts on the bottom. At night he prowls the neighborhood. Is he eating/acting/looking ok?

pinkguppy

Reaction score
I fed them earlier to see if he would and he ate just fine. He tries to swim up to the top frequently, but is quickly chased back down. I really hope they’ve gotten some more in by now. They’re so cute when they twirl around each other, I feel bad for him!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pinkguppy said:
I fed them earlier to see if he would and he ate just fine. He tries to swim up to the top frequently, but is quickly chased back down. I really hope they’ve gotten some more in by now. They’re so cute when they twirl around each other, I feel bad for him!
I know. I sent my hubby to get my danio a buddy. He came back with a giant danio. His name is usually slick. If I could rehome him I would. Once I get my 40 long going, I’m getting my lf danio some buddies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom