Longest you owned a running tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by el337, Jul 25, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Was sitting here in my living room staring at my tank contemplating how long I'll have this tank running. It's my first and while I'm sure the guppies and neons I now have will be long gone in a couple of years, I'm sure I'll also be adding more stock as the years pass. I just wondered what's the longest anyone here has kept the same tank running.

And also I'm hearing of old tank syndrome. What/when exactly do you do to spruce things up? Do you ever just drain all the water and replace substrate after a certain time? And I'm not talking about when there was an infection or bc you were buying or selling a tank or bc you decided to do a different setup/aquascape.

2. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I'm not going to win this "contest", as I've only had my tank running 14 months.

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I had one run for 4 years. Went through a lot of different fish. Technically it was up for five or six I can't remember, but it was emptied, moved to a new room, and restarted. I put all the fish back in and stuff. So if that counts I'm going with six.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    el337

Longer than me so you're winning so far! Lol

5. kidster9700

On that last part, my 29 was set up many many many different ways. Started with only plastic plants and moved over to a mixture. Decorations came and went, set up changed a few times, etc. I never changed out the substrate, though. That stayed in there haha. Mostly because it would require a complete restart.

6. OP
    OP
    el337

Oh kidster takes the lead!

7. kidster9700

I'm sure someone else will come along with their saltwater that's been running for three decades or something...

8. OP
    OP
    el337

Would love to hear about that!

9. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

My tank in multiple setups but the same filters has been running for four years now.

Old tank syndrome is something that I don't think happens as often anymore as in "the old days" ha ha.
    Its when people used to change out like 25% of their water a month, their nitrates would be sky high, their ph and alkalinity would have dropped over time. Then they decide to do a massive water change for one reason or another and the fish go into shock and they lose a bunch due to the fact that they now have clean water free of nitrates, back where the ph started. Thats why it used to be thought that changing too much water was a bad thing.

As long as you're consistently changing out 25-50% every week or two you will never run into this phenomenon.

10. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

CindyL,
    FYI, " Old tank syndrome " can basically happen in any tank that has been running for some time without the correct maintenance regime throughout the tanks life.
    OTS, is primarily cause by a build up of bad stuff and bacteria deep within the substrate of a tank, and if this is allowed to continue building up - hey presto ! - OTS.
    For this reason, many Aquarists over the years have come to the conclusion that between 50 CM ( approx 2") and 75 CM ( 3" ) are the best depth of substrate in any tank.
    Substrates of this depth are fairly easy to deep clean with a vacuum in sections every once in a while, which helps prevent OTS, without affecting the BB living inside the substrate too much.
    Back to original Q in thread, I have at present 1 FW tank that has been running here in Thailand for 6 years ( with stock adjustments due to fish dying Etc ), and in the UK had tanks running well over that length of time.

11. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Not counting moving them 3 times. I have several that have been running for 10+ years.

12. OP
    OP
    el337

Wow! Now that's commitment! And were you ever at a point during those 10+ years of just stopping the hobby for whatever reason?

13. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Well done BDpups, this length of time for tanks shows your commitment to your hobby.

14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Nope. I like looking at them too much :)

15. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

That is in effect what I was saying (not keeping up with water changes etc) but the point about the sand is a good one too. I don't think it is only caused by substrate issues though which is why I pointed out not doing enough water changes etc.
    Six years is impressive!

16. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Had my 20 gallon long tank running for about 20 years (retired in 1999), had just about everything in it including a brief (1 year) attempt at salt water. Changed fish numerous times. Even had a red line Snakehead in there at one time (before they were illegal). Upgraded to a 55 gal that was replaced with a 75 gal in 2010. 2014 set up the old 55 gal (multitanks). Maybe this winter I will get the old 20 gal set up again?

17. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Longest one I have running is my 10g for 3 years so far.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

19. Tolak

Tolak Well Known Member Member

I've got a 55 that I've had running for 15 years, it was running at my dad's place for 3 years before that, and who knows how long before that when he got it from the guy in the apartment below him who got evicted.

20. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

I got my 30g when I was 11 years old for a 4H project. I'm 33 now, and it's still running. It's moved several times with me and had one substrate change (from bright blue gravel to natural). Still going strong and healthy to this day...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice