1 Gallon Tank Long video about my concerns for my Goldfish

Dustinsdepths

I filmed a nearly 30-minute video talking about my Comet Goldfish. It is mostly about the mistakes I made, what I am doing to fix my mistakes, my concerns for my Goldfish's well-being, my personal opinions on Goldfish, and sharing some of what I learned about Goldfish from researching them. Some may think that I sound a bit paranoid at times in the video, and some may think that I worry too much about my Goldfish. I know that is how my parents feel about it. But my Goldfish is my baby, I love him, and I want to provide the best life for him that I can. I could talk about my Goldfish and my concerns for him all day and all night long, so it was difficult for me to decide where to end the video. I hope it's ok to share the video. I fully understand if anyone gets mad at me for the situation my Goldfish is in. To be honest I am mad at myself for not having everything ready before getting my new pet. I hope that you'll understand what I am going through when you watch my video. I am not entirely sure if that would be a good thing or not. I'm not even sure if I should have uploaded this video in the first place. Talking about it did help me feel better at the very least, but I am still concerned about the whole situation I and my Goldfish are facing together. Please understand that I am mentally disabled, so I might be taking this harder than other people would. Anyway, here is the video if you are interested in watching it. Also, did I share the link correctly?
My Goldfish and my concerns

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :) Very cute goldfish! Yes your link was correct!

Since you already know he needs a bigger tank I'll skip that. Dont beat yourself up, everyone has made mistakes here, (believe me!) we just have to make the best of it. ;) You are planning to fix it so thats good.

Since that tank he is in is so small I would try to fill it all the way up to the top to get the max use of water. Goldfish are messy and muck the water up quicker than most fish.

Do you have dechlorinator and a test kit to check the water? Ammonia will be your biggest issue to start out. Do you know about the Aquarium Nitrogen cycle?

If you dont have a testing kit I would plan to do 50% water changes, matching the new water to the temperature in his tank, once a day until you can get something. The liquid tests are more accurate than strips. The API Master freshwater test kit is the one most of us are familiar with.

If you have any questions come back here, we want to help you take good care of your new pet.

Dustinsdepths

Welcome to Fishlore! :) Very cute goldfish! Yes your link was correct!

Since you already know he needs a bigger tank I'll skip that. Dont beat yourself up, everyone has made mistakes here, (believe me!) we just have to make the best of it. ;) You are planning to fix it so thats good.

Since that tank he is in is so small I would try to fill it all the way up to the top to get the max use of water. Goldfish are messy and muck the water up quicker than most fish.

Do you have dechlorinator and a test kit to check the water? Ammonia will be your biggest issue to start out. Do you know about the Aquarium Nitrogen cycle?

If you dont have a testing kit I would plan to do 50% water changes, matching the new water to the temperature in his tank, once a day until you can get something. The liquid tests are more accurate than strips. The API Master freshwater test kit is the one most of us are familiar with.

If you have any questions come back here, we want to help you take good care of your new pet.
Thank you so much. I found this forum to be a great source of information so far. I truly appreciate the help. I hope my Goldfish lives long enough to enjoy a far bigger tank or a large pond. I might be able to get 40 or 50-gallon tank soon, but it could still be a few weeks before I actually have it. I'm still very worried about this whole situation. I'm also trying to find a fish keeper who can take in my Goldfish if I end up unable to provide a large enough tank.

StarGirl

Thank you so much. I found this forum to be a great source of information so far. I truly appreciate the help. I hope my Goldfish lives long enough to enjoy a far bigger tank or a large pond. I might be able to get 40 or 50-gallon tank soon, but it could still be a few weeks before I actually have it. I'm still very worried about this whole situation. I'm also trying to find a fish keeper who can take in my Goldfish if I end up unable to provide a large enough tank.
He should be just fine for a few weeks. Just make sure his water stays good.

NearMeBettas

Welcome to Fishlore, happy to have you!

As StarGirl said you've realized there is sn usue and your fixing it, don't feel bad. We all have made fishkeeping mistakes at something in our journey.

Cregslist is a good place to find cheep large tanks.

I am assuming his tank is not gone through the aquarium nitrogen cycle yet? The cycling process is very important and crucial to keeping your fish alive. Until you can get a bigger tank I would start an in fish cycle. Getting him a filter would also help. Does the person that gave you the aquarium have used filter media you could use to speed up the cycle? (Also his tank looks like a 5 gallon from what I can see.) I would recommend filling it all the way up as StarGirl said to maximize space.

Dustinsdepths

Welcome to Fishlore, happy to have you!

As StarGirl said you've realized there is sn usue and your fixing it, don't feel bad. We all have made fishkeeping mistakes at something in our journey.

Cregslist is a good place to find cheep large tanks.

I am assuming his tank is not gone through the aquarium nitrogen cycle yet? The cycling process is very important and crucial to keeping your fish alive. Until you can get a bigger tank I would start an in fish cycle. Getting him a filter would also help. Does the person that gave you the aquarium have used filter media you could use to speed up the cycle? (Also his tank looks like a 5 gallon from what I can see.) I would recommend filling it all the way up as StarGirl said to maximize space.
He might have some more stuff I can use. I will ask him about it. Thanks for the helpful information. The guy who gave me this tank says it is only about a 1-gallon tank, but to be honest I don't think he knows much about how big a tank is or how big a tank a Goldfish needs, it is way too small either way. I saw a 40-gallon tank at a pet store recently and I'll have the money for it next week. I wasn't sure if Craigslist was still around, thank you for letting me know. I will look there as well. If all goes well, my Goldfish will have a fish tank that is at least 40 or more gallons in about a week or two from now. Once I have that, I plan to save up for a nice big pond for my Goldfish.

Dustinsdepths

Here is an updated video on how my Goldfish Depth-Charge is doing.
I hope you don't mind, but I wasn't able to record sound this time, so I just put text on the screen and some pirate ship themed music in the background that I got from an old video game. Depth-Charge has been playing with his fake Sea Anemone today and exploring his new tank.
Update on my Goldfish

StarGirl

He looks like he is fine. The music is cute! Please fill it up...please! Lol :)

OutsideFoodBlob

Goldfish definitely have a lot of personality and I can see you care a lot about your fish friend already. Welcome and best of luck to you both!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Greenfungaloo
Replies
Views
Greenfungaloo
Replies
Views