Long time lurker. Decided to join. Hi.

FisherOfMen

Hi everyone. I’m a long time lurker and finally decided to join.
I had a 10 gallon tank about 40 years ago and ever since then I’ve been away from the aquarium scene. Now I’m back and I like fishlore’s forum based on a lot of my Google searches. Currently I have a 29 gallon tank I’m almost done cycling (5 weeks in). I have already bought everything I need to start a 55 or 75 gallon tank except for the actual tank. I plan to take advantage of the 50% sale Petco is having this month on tans, but I’m undecided on the 55 or 75. Saw both in person and they are both huge compared to my 29 gallon.

This new tank will be for African Cichlids only while my 29 gallon will be mostly mollies and glofish tetras with some catfish.

Skrabbitskrabbit

Welcome! I have 3 tanks and the biggest is a 29 but I say go big if you can. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a larger one soon.
We love pics of fish/tank if you have any.

betta06

welcome to fishlore!

BigManAquatics

Don't let those bigger tanks intimidate you! Or like i do, just think of all the new kinds of fish you can explore with them!

fallfever

75...75...75. Is the subliminal thing working? I have three of them and it's my favorite sized tank since I'm into communities and not monster fish. So much you can do with that extra width. Always go for the largest tank you can fit. The bigger the tank the easier it is to care for, too. And welcome!

WateryDreams

Hi everyone. I’m a long time lurker and finally decided to join.
I had a 10 gallon tank about 40 years ago and ever since then I’ve been away from the aquarium scene. Now I’m back and I like fishlore’s forum based on a lot of my Google searches. Currently I have a 29 gallon tank I’m almost done cycling (5 weeks in). I have already bought everything I need to start a 55 or 75 gallon tank except for the actual tank. I plan to take advantage of the 50% sale Petco is having this month on tans, but I’m undecided on the 55 or 75. Saw both in person and they are both huge compared to my 29 gallon.

This new tank will be for African Cichlids only while my 29 gallon will be mostly mollies and glofish tetras with some catfish.
Hi and welcome! I was into the fish scene when I was way younger too and just now getting back in so you're not alone, have no worries. The nice thing about a 55 or 75 is once you have it up and running and cycled it's soooo much easier to care for. Might not seem like it, but it is in terms of catching water test problems before they become insurmountable, etc. There's a lot more "oopsie" room to phrase it a different way.

A smaller tank even with a great filter or two, conditions can change SO fast and you're looking at a lot more water changes too to help keep it all healthy.

If this were me, I'd plan my 29 G as a quarantine tank and go for the sale - get whatever you an afford, the 55 or 75 - just remember to get a stand of some kind if it's not included in the sale price. For those sizes I'd also suggest 2 filters either HOB (hang on back of tank) or canisters depending on what kind of fish you want to keep. It's well worth it in the long run - the more filtration, the happier your fish between WC's (water changes).

Also with a bigger tank, think hard on where you're put it. One thing I will say about smaller tanks (I'm looking to set up a 40 g B and a 20 G quarantine) is that if you're farther away from the kitchen sink, bathtub or nearby window, doing water changes by the syphon/bucket method isn't so bad.

But a bigger tank 55 and up, you can get a powder syphon with a looong hose. It attaches to your kitchen or bathroom faucet and you can syphon the gravel and the water goes down the drain (have a drain strainer) until you're at the level you want for a water change (25, etc) by eyeballing it.

Then to fill the tank, you can flip a lever at the tap and have the water reverse - instead of draining your tank into the sink, you can use the faucet to refill your tank through the same looooong hose (some of these hoses can be 50 ft long to link you from tank to sink). Just make sure about the water temp as much as you can.

My family had a history of tons of tanks and big ones too - since this was so long ago we all primarily used the bucket method but these days with power syphons and hoses it's much easier.

To cut this all down to size, bigger tanks are easier in the long run to keep your fish happy and healthy and it's easier now too to do water changes. Thus the opinion to go bigger. If you have any questions at all please post, this is a WONDERFUL website, people will help!

What kind of fish are you looking to keep for now?

EDIT - I see some spelling errors, please ignore those, I'm tired but wide awake, not always a good combo! Also, if you refill with water thats just a couple degrees lower than your tank, depending on your fish, they might get an energy boost from it thinking it's the rainy season for spawning. But please try to keep new water as close to the tank temp as you can, we can help with that. Seriously, this site is AMAZING.

aquachris

Welcome to fishlore! Great to have you here. Also welcome to MTS (Multiple tank syndrome) LOL.

Would love to see pics of your fish and tanks as they get going!

FisherOfMen

What kind of fish are you looking to keep for now?

sorry for the late response. It’s not because I was ignoring you, but because I had not decided on a type of fish yet. But I do know I want African Cichlids. And with the initial research, I’m leaning towards the Mbuna family since my tank will be at most a 75G. The behavior of the Mbuna makes me lean that route since they aren’t big swimmers but more rock dwellers. A 75G imho is too small for the other types such as peacock and haps. I visited the pet shop these past few days and the more I see Mbuna’s, the more I feel confident about my choice.

My next step would be to gather up 4-5 fish I initially want to get started. It will be an all male tank for two reasons. 1)I don’t want to breed 2)males have much better color to them. After my initial 4-5 fish, I plan on getting another 4-5 fish, quarantine them for a week to make sure they aren’t sick. Then finish it off with the last of 4-5 more fish, for a total of 12-15 fish. I want room for them to grow and don’t want a tank with too many.

Although I’ve read that it’s good to overcrowd the tank to curb aggressive behavior since it will be an all male tank, I believe the overall mood it will be a less aggressive since they won’t be fighting each other to impress the ladies.

course nothing is set in stone. If the initial 12-15 is not enough and I see the Mbunas fighting a lot, I can always add more fish later.

The last few days I’ve been experimenting with live plants to make sure I can take care of them once I get the 75 gallon. So far I have a large Argentine Sword and a Java Fern. Both easy maintenance plants that is pleasing to the eyes.

Once I feel comfortable taking care of live plants and feeding them nutrients to make them grow nice and green, I’ll go ahead and order the 75 gallon tank. There is a tiny tiny chance I may downsize to a 55 gallon tank for lack of space. Unfortunately or fortunately I picked up an 85 inch TV for the living room that is taking up a lot of space. With newly revised fish hobby I haven’t even watched TV lately and I find myself looking at my 29g tank all day long after I get home from work. It’s a great way to get rid of the daily stress from work.

I feel guilty today because after I got back from work, I finally ended up planting my new rose plant I picked up from Sam’s club a few weeks ago (been busy with the 29g) and some parsley. My fish didn’t get the TLC they normally would have gotten. It’s 8:30pm as I write this and I am going to make up for lost time today and spend the rest of the evening with my fish.....on this note, have a good evening and look forward to contributing and sharing with this community.

WateryDreams

sorry for the late response. It’s not because I was ignoring you, but because I had not decided on a type of fish yet. But I do know I want African Cichlids. And with the initial research, I’m leaning towards the Mbuna family since my tank will be at most a 75G. The behavior of the Mbuna makes me lean that route since they aren’t big swimmers but more rock dwellers. A 75G imho is too small for the other types such as peacock and haps. I visited the pet shop these past few days and the more I see Mbuna’s, the more I feel confident about my choice.

My next step would be to gather up 4-5 fish I initially want to get started. It will be an all male tank for two reasons. 1)I don’t want to breed 2)males have much better color to them. After my initial 4-5 fish, I plan on getting another 4-5 fish, quarantine them for a week to make sure they aren’t sick. Then finish it off with the last of 4-5 more fish, for a total of 12-15 fish. I want room for them to grow and don’t want a tank with too many.

Although I’ve read that it’s good to overcrowd the tank to curb aggressive behavior since it will be an all male tank, I believe the overall mood it will be a less aggressive since they won’t be fighting each other to impress the ladies.

course nothing is set in stone. If the initial 12-15 is not enough and I see the Mbunas fighting a lot, I can always add more fish later.

The last few days I’ve been experimenting with live plants to make sure I can take care of them once I get the 75 gallon. So far I have a large Argentine Sword and a Java Fern. Both easy maintenance plants that is pleasing to the eyes.

Once I feel comfortable taking care of live plants and feeding them nutrients to make them grow nice and green, I’ll go ahead and order the 75 gallon tank. There is a tiny tiny chance I may downsize to a 55 gallon tank for lack of space. Unfortunately or fortunately I picked up an 85 inch TV for the living room that is taking up a lot of space. With newly revised fish hobby I haven’t even watched TV lately and I find myself looking at my 29g tank all day long after I get home from work. It’s a great way to get rid of the daily stress from work.

I feel guilty today because after I got back from work, I finally ended up planting my new rose plant I picked up from Sam’s club a few weeks ago (been busy with the 29g) and some parsley. My fish didn’t get the TLC they normally would have gotten. It’s 8:30pm as I write this and I am going to make up for lost time today and spend the rest of the evening with my fish.....on this note, have a good evening and look forward to contributing and sharing with this community.
Hello again!

African chiclids, the Mbuna family are amazing fish but... but like most chics, you need to be VERY careful, even more so with these guys, I think. A 75 would be a good starter/medium tank for these guys. I wouldn't necessarily call them slow movers or bottom dwellers, though. The peacocks and haps, you could start as babies in a 75 but to make sure they're very happy I'd upgrade to at least a 125.

My father kept his Mbuna's in a 125, and there were quite active!

1.) I would NOT do an all MALE Mbuna tank - I know you don't want to breed but honestly it's not as simple as throwing some females in with some males. That does NOT guarantee breeding. Also, 4-5 males in a 75 without females is almost a recipe for disaster. You'd need to plant it, heavily, so the males don't have sight-lines to each other. Remember, these are STILL chiclids so they WILL fight unless they have enough space.

2.) You want a total of 12-15...which kind? Mbuna can be abit broad. All males WILL NOT WORK.

3.) You need a heavily tanked tank, so you need to take the water parameters for the fish you want and cross reference them with plants to be effective.

Mbuna's often have the reputation as the slow, peaceful chic's but that's not really in the case.

GoldfishEnthusiast

Welcome!

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom