Long Term Colony Stability - Dwarf Shrimp

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi all. Many people start with just a few dwarf shrimp, sometimes as few as just one berried female. I'm curious as to people's experiences with the long term stability and viability of shrimp colonies with very limited Gene pools. Some people add a few of the same variety from another source with the hopes of strengthening the hardiness of the overall colony.

So I've been thinking about this quite a bit, because the color varities are already quite inbred. Can you keep a healthy colony going indefinitely with just a few shrimp to start? Or is there an inevitable genetic collapse?

Would love to hear your experiences with your colonies! Especially colonies that have been going for several years.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My RCS I'm on about 3 years and I have not noticed any decline in color or health. My blue pearls occasionally get a little red on them, but those are few and far between. That tank is about 2.5 years.

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the input Bithimala! How many did you start with originally?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I haven’t tried a colony yet, but I would suggest adding some new shrimp and removing some old shrimp from the tank to increase the gene pool.

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yup, I understand many people do that. However I'm trying to gather info about long term colony health with no new additions compared to those with new additions periodically.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom