Long term affects of using a control valve?

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it really that bad to use a control valve only? I have had them on both my airpumps for years and nothing bad has yet happened.
Thanks in advance :)!

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the same. If your talking about water leaking into your air pump, I think that depends on your air pump placement. Mine is about six feet away from the first airstone so there is 0 chance of water running through the hose, as it isn't straight down.

OP
Cheesecake

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
trahana said:
I use the same. If your talking about water leaking into your air pump, I think that depends on your air pump placement. Mine is about six feet away from the first airstone so there is 0 chance of water running through the hose, as it isn't straight down.
Yeah mine aren't anywhere near the actual stone.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Most air pumps use a diaphragm to pump air. Putting an excessive amount of back pressure (control valve) on the diaphragm can cause it to wear out prematurely. Using a "T" and control valve is a better way to control pressure. It reduces stress on the diaphragm which will extend it's life somewhat.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Most air pumps use a diaphragm to pump air. Putting an excessive amount of back pressure (control valve) on the diaphragm can cause it to wear out prematurely. Using a "T" and control valve is a better way to control pressure. It reduces stress on the diaphragm which will extend it's life somewhat.
How do you mean? A t and then control valve on the end of the dead end to leak air? Or am I missing what you mean?

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Basically yes :). This link, Bleed Valves: Reduce Air Pressure and Increase Your Air Pump’s Life!, has better pics than I could draw, and explains it. A lot of people have an air stone on the bleed end to baffle the air, too.

I have 3 air lines in my tank, and use a 4 port gang valve. That way, I can control all 3 individually, and use the 4th for a bleed valve.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use them and nothing bad happens when using them in the long run

New Threads