Long string of fish poop

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nanjo4, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Nanjo4Valued MemberMember

Help, please! Came home tonight and my male platy has a string of poop about an inch long attached to him. What does this mean? What should I do? I am pretty new to keeping fish and have a lot to learn! Thanks for being here.

2. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

While embarrassing for the fish, it's normal.

3. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Agree with jdhef, don't worry unless he looks bloated :)

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

If it's persistent, it might be constipation. Blanch a frozen pea in boiling water for a couple minutes, peel off the skin, mush it up a bit and feed it that. Your other fish will enjoy it too. At least, mine did.

5. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

As others have said, it's fairly normal for fish to poop, I would just pay attention and see how long it stays on him. If it's stuck, it's most likely constipation, which you can do what was suggested with peas, you should also consider that perhaps you are overfeeding. Good luck!

6. wiedowValued MemberMember

What color Is it? (White or brown?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    N

Nanjo4Valued MemberMember

Thanks to all of you for the great information. It's gone this morning. I will feed peas for breakfast! Well just one pea. To answer a couple of questions, it was brown. And I think I am over feeding and need to stop doing that. It's just that the danios attack the food like sharks and I think the platy isn't getting any, so I put in some extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

A good way to look at it is add a few flakes per fish in your tank and see how fast it gets gobbled up. You typically only want to feed a tank as much as they can eat in right around a minute, which is a whole lot less than it actually sounds. If you dump in enough food at once (that they can eat in a minute), all fish should get fed regardless. If there is too much left over that the fish have access to, or you are feeding multiple times a day (which you really shouldn't unless you are dealing with juveniles of large fish, which you aren't). I've never had platy's but I've had molly's and guppies which I feel are somewhat similar care wise. When they started getting constipated, I slowed down the amount that I fed them and only fed them every other day until I mastered the correct amount, then went back to feeding them once daily and while they poop a lot (all live bearers do), they aren't getting constipated. They do their business and it drops under a minute like expected.

Another trick I used when I had my danios in a community tank, I would drop some food for them, then on the other side of the tank I would drop some more. The less anxious eaters learned where I was dropping food and I was consistently able to feed less and less.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice