LONG labor

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by ReiNHerMollies, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ReiNHerMollies

ReiNHerMollies New Member Member

I just bought the biggest female guppy i have ever seen a few days ago. I put her in the breeder box yesterday. today she looked sluggish. I came home 4 hours later to 3 little babies. since I have been home she only has dropped one more. I have to go to work soon and I dont want to leave her with all those fry to be eaten. Her belly is still massive. Why is it taking so long?

2. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Its a long process. I"d wait more than a couple hours. When she looks very skinny than i would say shes done.

3. OP
    OP
    ReiNHerMollies

ReiNHerMollies New Member Member

Ok, so now there are at least 30 in the tank. She is still huge. I let her out of the breeder net when I got home because she had only popped out about 10 all together. This morning the tank was filled with little babies. I caught about 20 and put them in the breeder net with the other fry. She is probably going to have more... looks like the plague already :)

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

one time, when i still my favorite female, Christine (in my avatar, along with her boyfriend Erik), her 1st drop was reeeeealy small (i think she had 15...), so i didnt expect much on the 2nd. when she started her second drop, i was scooping them out as she had them, but we had to leave to go to the grocery store. when we came home, about 3 whours later, there were about 100 fry in the tank, no lie! in one scoop, i caught about 30 of the little suckers! i didnt want them all so i let the adults have at them, and when i had the one i wanted left, i got my 20 gallon ready to go, and lost all my freeking fish except Howl Jr and Calcifer T_T guppies can have upwards of 200 fry, so dont be alarmed if there seems to be millions of them =D to keep populations down, u could always feed some of them to other fish. its better then having an over crowded tank, imo... tho it is kinda depressing o.o....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice