LONG labor

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by ReiNHerMollies, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ReiNHerMollies

ReiNHerMolliesNew MemberMember

I just bought the biggest female guppy i have ever seen a few days ago. I put her in the breeder box yesterday. today she looked sluggish. I came home 4 hours later to 3 little babies. since I have been home she only has dropped one more. I have to go to work soon and I dont want to leave her with all those fry to be eaten. Her belly is still massive. Why is it taking so long?

2. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Its a long process. I"d wait more than a couple hours. When she looks very skinny than i would say shes done.

3. OP
    OP
    ReiNHerMollies

ReiNHerMolliesNew MemberMember

Ok, so now there are at least 30 in the tank. She is still huge. I let her out of the breeder net when I got home because she had only popped out about 10 all together. This morning the tank was filled with little babies. I caught about 20 and put them in the breeder net with the other fry. She is probably going to have more... looks like the plague already :)

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

one time, when i still my favorite female, Christine (in my avatar, along with her boyfriend Erik), her 1st drop was reeeeealy small (i think she had 15...), so i didnt expect much on the 2nd. when she started her second drop, i was scooping them out as she had them, but we had to leave to go to the grocery store. when we came home, about 3 whours later, there were about 100 fry in the tank, no lie! in one scoop, i caught about 30 of the little suckers! i didnt want them all so i let the adults have at them, and when i had the one i wanted left, i got my 20 gallon ready to go, and lost all my freeking fish except Howl Jr and Calcifer T_T guppies can have upwards of 200 fry, so dont be alarmed if there seems to be millions of them =D to keep populations down, u could always feed some of them to other fish. its better then having an over crowded tank, imo... tho it is kinda depressing o.o....