Long Horn Cow Fish In My 100l Reef?

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So currently my 100L (26g) reef is stocked with a pair of ocellaris Clownfish, a yellow coris wrasse (the 3" type not the 1' type) and a sapphire damsel.
At my LFS there has just popped up this small horned cow fish that is about golf ball size. What I wanted to know was how long would it last in my 100L reef before I would have to sell it because it's getting too big?

Thanks for any inputs.

Tyler Fishman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well until it starts growing... fish grow depending on the amount of food, if you feed it once every day it will grow rapidly, plus I heard if they die they can crash your tank, keep the little guy happy

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tyler Fishman said:
Well until it starts growing... fish grow depending on the amount of food, if you feed it once every day it will grow rapidly, plus I heard if they die they can crash your tank, keep the little guy happy
Yeah I'm worried if I get him I'll nuke the tank. Are yellow box fish any better?

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely not. Fully grown they can get around 1.5-2ft in size and require a tank of around 200 gallons minimum. From what I've seen they grow pretty slow, but you'd need a backup plan in place and ready as it will grow out your tank quick. Also, as Tyler said if unhappy/threatened they can release a toxin that could wipe out everything in your tank.

Tyler Fishman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's not worth it, it's a literal ticking time bomb, if you were willing to make the investment of a large tank to house such a fish it's up to you, but imo its not worth it

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
he wont be happy in that small of a tank will likely feel threatened for space and may very well nuke the tank.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tyler Fishman said:
It's not worth it, it's a literal ticking time bomb, if you were willing to make the investment of a large tank to house such a fish it's up to you, but imo its not worth it
Ok thanks guys. I'll leave him alone then as awesome as he is.
Are yellow boxfish any different? I know they still get large but toxins wise etc are as dangerous?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom