Long, Flowing Tail - Holding Him Down? Or Sickness?

MissChris730

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here but have been a visitor of the site since I got Opie. Opie has recently been staying at the bottom of the tank, usually on his side. His tail has seemingly continued to grow and the ends are very thick and flowy looking. He seems to have trouble swimming to the top and doesn't do so hardly at all anymore, except to eat. I am attaching a picture of him currently. My two gallon tank is cycled, filtered, and heated. I have a master test kit and all levels are in the safe range. I also perform 25% water changes once a week, while vacuuming the gravel. Any ideas?
IMG-1065.jpg

MissChris730

Reaction score
FYI - his tail is HUGE compared to his body. His fins were only about a 1/2 inch or just a little more when I got him (one year ago).

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is the current high? Long finned bettas are usually more lazy because of their fins, but as long as he’s not stressed he should be fine.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It likely is just his tail weighing him down sadly- its super common in bettas because they're bred for aesthetics over health. There's not really a lot you can do about it other than provide places to rest on and perhaps lower the water level a bit.

I would however suggest considering getting him a slightly bigger tank- ideally one without a curved surface. A 2 gallon is only .5 gallons under the minimum needed so it is likely fine but I personally find 5 to the best go-to. Also most fish in general don't really like the curved glass because it distorts the view for them just like it does for us. If he's lived in there this long I'm sure he's fine though.

MissChris730

Reaction score
The filter that came with his tank originally died and I had to get another one. The current does seem to be a little stronger with this one, but it's been in his tank about six months now, and he's just started acting this way in the past two weeks.
I could definitely upgrade the tank, but I want to make sure it's not a bigger issue (sickness) before I spend the money on a new tank.

Kymopoleia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He might have sbd, but he also might just built with fins too big.
this is why I like plakats, they are so active and energetic, but it takes more effort for a long-finned betta like yours to move.
:(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom