long finned black tetras

1. Durbkat Member Member

I have 2 long finned black tetras one is huge and the other is small and they are in a long 20 gallon tank and the small one hides in the corner and the big one swims around. Also whenever the small one comes out the big tetra comes over and the small tetra goes back into the corner. Will this stop once I put more tetras in? ???

2. fletch Member Member

Re: Hi-fin black tetras

most probably will happen. The dominant tetra will have more to distract it and therefore leave the other one alone. It may even begin to prefer the comany of another of its kind

3. Durbkat Member Member

Thank you very much ;D I was wondering why he was doing that. Have you ever had that problem before? So do you think if I put another big long finned black tetra in their with the small one and also adding 3 regular black tetras they will act normal? ???

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Tetras are shoaling fish, so they should be kept in groups of at least six. He will probably get less aggressive once he has some more friends. Try rearranging the decorations if possible when you get the other fish. That way, all of the fish will be in a "new" place and the aggressive one won't feel like he's "king."

5. Durbkat Member Member

Will this big long finned black tetra stop bullying the other fish when their are six of them in their and I don't rearrange the plant? Because I put one of the reqular black tetras in the 20g and they seem to get along fine. So will I still have to move the plants around?

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Of course you don't have to. This trick is mostly used to introduce two territorial fish. I just thought I'd mention it in case you still have problems.

7. Durbkat Member Member

Thank you. So 2 of my tetras was tilting to their sides while they swam. Do you all know what this is? And should I worry if they do it again?

8. LunarLamb Initiate Member

It may be a swim bladder problem or the current is too strong..

9. Durbkat Member Member

Oh well they weren't near the filter when they did this and they were swimming fine and straight before I added a reglular balck tetra. Could this new fish have caused them to be stressed and tilt this way. And the lps said the nitrites might have gone up and they couldn't get enough oxygen in through their gills. And they aren't doing it now. So what is this? ???

10. Jason Well Known Member Member

Some of my neons swim tilted at times but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. Ive had them for quite a while now and yeah so....