Long Cruel Hot Summer, Looks Like I Am Going To Need Ice Packs

ap4lmtree

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do any of you use ice packs. I know that it could lower the temperature too much around the ice pack; however, using ice packs seems like the most practical way to cool my tanks unless I just replace the water with cooler water. It is going to be a long hot summer for me.

Fisker

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tanks getting too hot isn't much of a problem here, but I've used frozen water bottles before. Just plop them into the tank water, and remove once they're thawed. Re-freeze, and repeat.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Last year it was like 120 and my tanks only went as high as 80-84 and I used frozen water bottles which helped but it was a bit annoying to have to keep replacing them, but it was definitely effective.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By having a ran blow across the surface you will lower the temp by a few degrees. The fluctuating temps from an ice back will probably stress the fish more the a stable temp a little high

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try aquarium cooling fans.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aquarium+colling+fan&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I live where summers are very hot and find fans more effective and easier to use than frozen water bottles. They increase evaporation but that is a small price to pay.

Nobote

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Place the frozen water bottle in front of a powerhead so the water is contantly mixing. You won't haave any problems with fish stress.

New Threads