Loner or being bullied?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Novemayune, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I have 5 platys, 3 female red Mickey Mouse, 1 male sunburst wag, and 1 female sunburst wag. In the last couple days, I have noticed that the female sunburst is almost always swimming by herself. She will go over and swim with the other four, but she is usually alone. Sometimes she acts like she is intimidated by the other four, though I haven't noticed any aggression on her part. When I feed them, she does not feed near the others and will only eat off by herself. She doesn't clamp her fins all the time; in fact she usually isn't clamped, though I have noticed her clamped a couple of times.

Is she being bullied? Or is she a loner? I don't want to have to rehome her, but I don't want her to be miserable either. Any insight is welcomed!

ETA: She is the latest addition, and it has been about 5 days. Could it just be the "new kid" type thing going on?

ETA 2: I just watched my male dart after her. He seemed pretty adamant. Could it be that he decided she wasn't good enough for his harem?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't want to be an alarmist, but it sounds as though it may be sick. I would move the fish to quarantine for further observation.

In my experience, when a fish is not well it gets separated from the school. I feel that the school rejects the fish, though it may be the fish choosing to be by itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice