Loner Guppy?

1. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I bought 4 male guppies last week to go into my cycled 10 gallon. Three of them hang out together 90% of the time, however one of them hangs by himself a bunch either near the top corner or at the back. I took him out a minute ago to see if I could get a clear picture to see if there is anything wrong with him. I'm new to guppies, so I want to say that his top fin looks maybe a bit fuzzy? I'll attach some pictures shortly so maybe someone else can give me a better understanding as to if he's simply a loner or if he's sick.

[​IMG] (he's the one in the center)

[​IMG] Close up shot.

(I have a 2.5 gallon I can put him in if you think it's safer. These were all from the same store and added at the same time.)

[​IMG] Here's a closer shot.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I would definitely put it in the 2.5 for observation. Fish that are forced to the corner of the tank are not well.

3. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

That's what I thought. Should I do anything but observe right now? I can't tell what's wrong, if anything, so should I just wait and see or does someone see something I dont?

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would wait and see....could just be the result of being bullied. At least once it's separated you can act quickly once you determine what needs to be done.

How easy was it for you to net the fish? I'm not inquiring about your skill :), but rather about the evasive actions the fish took in the process.

5. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Well, compared to netting my otocinclus a month ago, it was a piece of cake. :) It tried hiding at the bottom and around a plant, but I netted it within a minute.

Now that's he's in the 2.5 under a light, it appears something on his back near his top fin is standing out, kinda fuzzy. At first I thought his scales were standing out, but now it just appears something is raised. I'm trying to get a better picture but it's tricky.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Trying to hide is a very good sign - shows that the fish is still aware of it's surroundings and well enough to flee. When a fish is in serious trouble, it doesn't hide.

7. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I'm suspecting a fungus of some sort. When I look at him I can see kinda of a fluffy appearance on his back and when I look at the others I don't see anything like that. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I'm not the best person to ask about such things. I am not known for nursing fish back to health....

I'm sure someone will be along soon.

9. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Ha! Ok, well hopefully someone else will come along and recommend something.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

in my opinion, fish get sick for a reason. Sometimes it's something within our control, but other times it's not. When one fish is not well and the rest are, it indicates that there is a problem with that specific fish, versus the conditions. It is obviously the weakest fish in the tank, and I do not want weak fish in my tanks.

11. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Understood. I will still check and see if there is something I can do for him, though.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, frequent water changes and observation are what you should be doing at this point, while you try to figure it out. I have often found that is enough to help the fish turn things around on its own.

13. sanjin Well Known Member Member

While you have your fish under observation, you will probably want to do some research on columnaris.

14. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I know. When I saw the fluffy stuff on his back I started looking it up. Whatever it is, I've caught it quickly, so hopefully I can help him.

15. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Update on my guppy. He's looking worse. His top fin (what is the actual name?) is fading fast. I added some melafix last night to see if it woud stop it. Can't tell any difference this morning. The side that's showing in the picture looks clear, but the other side still has what I consider a fuzziness to it.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

16. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I had guppies when I was a kid, but that was awhile ago, so I can't be of much help in that regard. However, the fin on his back is the dorsal fin, while the one on his stomach is the anal fin, and his tail fin is called the caudal fin. :)

17. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

:) Thanks! One of these days I'll keep it all straight in my head.

18. sanjin Well Known Member Member

So this guy is in a tank by himself now, right? A 2.5 gallon wouldn't cost too much to medicate if you're able to tell what's going on. Is the fluffiness on his back still there, or is the issue confined to the fin currently?

Columnaris can definitely eat away tissue, but with your last pic showing the non-fuzzy side, it's hard to say. FWIW, the only med I have had good luck with against columnaris is Triple Sulfa.

It appears that your guppy could have some fin rot going on up there too. If I remember right, the raggedy-edge fin rot is the bacterial type - could be a secondary issue.

19. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I can't tell what is going on with him. Two days ago his dorsal fin was slightly reduced compared to the other guppies and that's why I removed him...he was also hanging by himself. I removed him to the 2.5 by himself and noticed under the high light that his right side appeared to stand out, kind of fluffy. I didn't treat him but let the temp drop to 75 in case it was columnaris. His dorsal fin is seriously ragged now and his right side is mildly fluffy...I can't tell if it's being eaten away by something or not. His caudal fin appears like it has been nipped but that could have happened when he was still in the other tank earlier this week and I just didn't notice it as much. At one point today I thought I saw white spots like ich and then I got really confused. He was doing very poorly with the current of the filter, so I took it out and added an airstone instead and he seems to have perked up some. He's very thin but he hasn't been eating this week even though I've offered different types of food. (Oh and I think he might have a red dot on his mouth)

I have aquarium salt, maracyn 2, fungus guard, parasite guard and I think quick cure around here on hand. I do not have triple sulfa but can get some either tonight or tomorrow if its recommended to start treating him.

I'll see if I can get a better picture.

Attached Files:

20. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Can someone take a look at the picture above and tell me what you might think I'm dealing with? I think I need to start treating him now but I don't know where to start.