Loner cory

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
So I bought 3 panda Cory's and one green Cory's. You would think the loner Cory I'm talking about is the green one one. Sometimes he is but I think he's closer to the others then my smallest panda. He's always by himself. Sometimes he will swim with the other two but he's the slowest one.
If I buy more(I plan on doing that anyway) will he be happier??

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Doomheadthebetta said:
So I bought 3 panda Cory's and one green Cory's. You would think the loner Cory I'm talking about is the green one one. Sometimes he is but I think he's closer to the others then my smallest panda. He's always by himself. Sometimes he will swim with the other two but he's the slowest one.
If I buy more(I plan on doing that anyway) will he be happier??
Though I am puzzled by your post : in general are all corys happier with enough of their own species. So up the numbers if you've space enough

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
I made same mistake, my 2 Juliis pretty much stick to themselves :(

I am going to make concentrated effort to put them into a different tank & get more of their own soon when I shuffle around tanks in about next 2 months.

if you can get another 2-3 emerald cories, I think you'll see a huge difference.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Debbie1986 said:
I made same mistake, my 2 Juliis pretty much stick to themselves :(

I am going to make concentrated effort to put them into a different tank & get more of their own soon when I shuffle around tanks in about next 2 months.

if you can get another 2-3 emerald cories, I think you'll see a huge difference.
juliI = trilineatus

This is the start of a to MTS related syndrom called MSOCIDT-syndrom (Multiple Species of Corys in different tanks).

Corydork

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Definitely the start of MSOCIDT, run while you can, as it's too late for me. I agree that cories should be kept in schools of the same species of 4 or more, but your cories aren't going to stress themselves to death if they're alone. The best way I've heard it put was by Cory from aquarium coop. Dogs are pack animals, but many of us have just one or two dogs, and the same applies to most fish (I've found it applies to cories too). While you shouldn't panic if you've only got one corydora of a select species, I'd definitely keep them in a school of 3 being the bare minimum (2 males to 1 female for more frequent spawning). However, the behaviors of larger schools (I've got 20 sterbaI in a tank and 20 more coming in, can't wait!) are awesome. Spawning looks like a giant cloud of cories pushing through each other, they stack on top of each other when resting and they all go out and eat at the same time (except the odd few that stay back to rest).

Oriongal

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That would be awesome to see (a shoal of 40 Sterbai). :)

I have a pool (it's somewhere between 250-300 gallons) where my livebearers mix and grow out, and of course there's also some corys in there because, well - corys.

At one point I had around 10 peppered and about 16 Schwartz in there (I wasn't worried about interbreeding, the swordtails love cory eggs.) The Schwartz corys would hang together most of the time as you'd expect them to; either as a large shoal, or at minimum in pairs/trios. Only rarely would one be foraging completely on its own.

But the peppered really didn't spend much time together at all. They were usually spread out all over the pool, each doing its own thing. I think the biggest 'group' of peppered I ever saw was three males chasing one female for spawning, and I never saw them all shoaling together.

The Schwartz also did something else I never saw the peppered doing - they would randomly decide to all tag along behind one peppered cory. Just follow along as a group, until the peppered cory stopped somewhere - at which point they'd lose interest and go on about their own business. Not a spawning-chase either, it looked like a leisurely game of follow-the-leader. (The peppered cory was probably wondering what the heck was going on whenever they'd do that - why are you all following me?)

From the way mine acted in a large space, it does seem like some cory species are more inclined to want/need social grouping than others. I think peppered corys would probably be fine solo, they don't seem to care as much about being with others of their kind even when there are a good number of them available.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah if I put wisteria from the big cory tank into another tank that other tank will have sterbs in short order. It is like snails.

New Threads