lonely tank

1. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

i have my tank with a male and femal krib and three baby fry and two mystery snails....the kribs are always hiding in the caves...so my tank always looks empty....i know my tank is small but should i add any other types of fish and if so, what kind....i know they could use dither fish, but i did't want them eating fry.....or the other fish being harrassed so much.....

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Your aquarium info says 8 fry, is it 8 fry or 3 fry?

I think your tank is overstocked as it is at the moment but I will let another member with more krib experience answer.

3. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

its 3 fry now:(...what do you think?

any suggestions?

:animal0068:Merged posts.
    Ken

4. slipitysmooth Initiate Member

I have my breeding pair with 5 white clouds, extremely quick swimmers that give the kribs a reason to come outta there cave, they rarely stay in for long (except when it was baby time). Also, the white clouds are in just about zero danger because they can usually outswim the kribs.

5. kcarmartinez Member Member

Kribs will come out more if they have a dither fish.... but unfortunaltely I don't see your tank as having room for any. And they are very territorial, expecially when they are mating. I had a 20G with 6 tiger barbs and they tormented the tiger barbs and the tiger barbs ate the babies. *sigh* I was going to upgrade but ended up loosing Mama and gave up on it. I think I would have had better success with a bigger tank. It was cute when they would take the babies to explore the tank.
    I think other good dither fish are danios (but again, you would need a bigger tank).

Edit: I see slipitysmooth has a 29G. I think that is a perfect size for a mating pair and a school of dithers.
    I wonder if planting (real or fake) the tank and giving them lots of places to hide would make them feel more comfortable to come out and play.

Edit 2: LOL, this is old, I see you have moved on anyway. :;bmu

6. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

oh i did....tx anyway....i lost the daddy and pretty much all of the fry, except for one that is growing in the tank....the mommy i had to re home, due to her trying to kill the baby after a few months....so i started over with harlequins and cory's and hopefully in a few months will upgrade a tank....but don't know if i want to breed kribs again, since i love the corys...

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if we ALL keep an eye on the dates of threads, it helps allot when offering help ....:)

im sorry for your losses and glad things are doing better!

8. kribensis keeper Member Member

you only have a 12 gallon tank so there is not much you can play with but you could try some zebra danio there quick