Lonely Oscar? Question 

  • Thread starter

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Messages
757
Reaction score
7
Points
113
Experience
5 years
Do I need to consider getting a friend for my oscar? He seems to be lonely as his only tankmate is an 11" pleco who does NOT like to be bothered, and will flare up when the oscar gets too close?

I am aware of the tank requirements of these fish and plan to get a bigger tank when necessary. It just seems that I am the only source of entertainment from his perspective and I sleep during the day so....
 

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Messages
17,320
Reaction score
249
Points
298
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hes only pretending to be lonely so you'll put something in the tank he can kill
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Oscars in the wild usually claI'm a large territory that they patrol & defend against all intruders, even prospective mates. They spend a large part of their lives on their own. I wouldn't be worried about keeping one on it's own. You can throw in a couple of toys for the Oscar to play with. Golf balls are supposed to be good & a few fake plants will be happily tossed around. Fast moving dither fish like Giant Danios will also provide entertainment for the Oscar (be prepared to lose one every now & again).

IF you are 110% CERTAIN that you will get at least 120gal tank in the next few months, you could introduce a new Oscar now as they are usually a little more receptive when they are young. You would have to be absolutley sure that 120gal tank was in the very near future though or be prepared to rehome the fish (give them away if need be) if you couldn't get a big enough tank before they get to 6" long.
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
Hes only pretending to be lonely so you'll put something in the tank he can kill
Probably exactly what's going on. Oscars are very intelligent & are really good at getting what they want out of their owners. Give it what it want occasionally. Live food isn't actually a dietry requirement for Oscars but they sure do appreciate a few Neons or something similar to hunt down every now & again.
 
  • Thread starter

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Messages
757
Reaction score
7
Points
113
Experience
5 years
I would think at 2.5" he'd be too small to get any of the minnows they have for sale at the Petsmart I go to as they are about 3/4 to 1" long
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
A Sneaky Fatman said:
I would think at 2.5" he'd be too small to get any of the minnows they have for sale at the Petsmart I go to as they are about 3/4 to 1" long
You would be surprised. Not at all uncommon for Oscars at that size to eat 1" long fish as long as they don't have a deep body. Long, thin fish are easy to swallow. Even if it can't eat them yet, it will certainly try & that will amuse it & you to no end. When it gets big enough it will munch them.
 
  • Thread starter

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Messages
757
Reaction score
7
Points
113
Experience
5 years
Nutter said:
Oscars in the wild usually claI'm a large territory that they patrol & defend against all intruders, even prospective mates. They spend a large part of their lives on their own. I wouldn't be worried about keeping one on it's own. You can throw in a couple of toys for the Oscar to play with. Golf balls are supposed to be good & a few fake plants will be happily tossed around. Fast moving dither fish like Giant Danios will also provide entertainment for the Oscar (be prepared to lose one every now & again).

IF you are 110% CERTAIN that you will get at least 120gal tank in the next few months, you could introduce a new Oscar now as they are usually a little more receptive when they are young. You would have to be absolutley sure that 120gal tank was in the very near future though or be prepared to rehome the fish (give them away if need be) if you couldn't get a big enough tank before they get to 6" long.
Went to my local petsmart today and decided I would try doing another oscar since I found a place right down the road from me that makes aquariums and isnt too expensive, and I already have a stand for the bigger aquarium. Well, my original oscar didnt get the memo that he was supposed to get along with the other oscar and has been chasing it all day. I tried rearranging the tank, much to my plecos dismay, and even then when the new guy tried to get in the pvc pipe my original guy would go in and pick a fight. any tips for reducing aggression?
 

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,717
Reaction score
187
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
you can remove the original oscar, switch things around again with the new guy in there, and re introduce the old oscar after half hour or so...but by nature, they will chase and kill if they can....other fish you can try are convicts, jack dempseys, or parrot fish...but again they need much larger tanks and even as juvies, your water changes are going to be allot to keep the nitrates down ...they are messy fish for sure ...the 11 inch plec in the tank alone, will keep the nitrates sky high ...good luck with them though!
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
No promises that it will work but try removing both fish into separate buckets. Rearrange the entire tank making sure that the fish don't need to share hiding places. Have two bits of pipe or terracotta pots or whatever. Have the hiding places at opposite ends of the tank & arrange the other decorations equally around the two hiding spots. Have some open space through the middle of the tank. That will give you two distinct areas divided by completely open ground. Once that is done. put both fish back into the tank at the exact same time. If your lucky one fish will take one end of the tank & the other fish the other end.

If that doesn't work you can try using a temporary divider so that the fish both establish themselves in the seperated territories. If your really lucky the fish will basically just remain in their territories when you remove the divider after a few weeks.

Sometimes it just doesn't work at all. Many Oscars don't like to share. Especially when one is established in a tank & a new one is introduced at a later date. you would have the best chance of success if you were to sell both of the fish that you have now & go buy two new ones out of the same tank at your LFS. Introduce those to your tank at the same time.
 
  • Thread starter

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Messages
757
Reaction score
7
Points
113
Experience
5 years
Not sure if I could take the origional oscar back. Its been over two weeks. Last time I took a fish back to the petsmart I go to they said they could only take back a fish if they gave me store credit.

Yeah I know its a petsmart which usually equals bad but they have several people working in the aquatics section that have multiple fish tanks and the tanks are always clean with no dead fish.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom