Lonely Minnow?

luffy

So I just got my 6 White Cloud Minnows in my tank, 3 golden ones and 3 regular ones. New tank by the way.

From what I can see, just by judging their abdomens, bigger stomach ones are female? and the slimmer ones are male? Anyway from that assumption it seems I have got the following:

3x Golden Mountain Minnows - 3 males (possible 1 could be female - not too sure, looks more male).
3x Regular Mountain Minnows - 2 females and 1 male.

Also the golden mountain minnows appear bigger in size than the regular ones.

It appears that the male regular minnow is not swimming with its group, he's just swimming on his own, and sometimes hangs about by himself in the tank, while the other 5 are swimming around the tank pretty quickly. The tank has been cycled, Nitrites & Ammonia at 0, Nitrates at about 40 (going to buy some more cold water plants).

I'm just wondering if this is normal behaviour while settling in? or are the other 5 behaving strangely and the lone one is not? the tank is vertical cyclinder in shape and the 5 swim around most of the time (guess they are exploring?).

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks. I could be thinking too much as this is something very new to me, which is why I chose these fish.

FlutterFish

What is your tank size?

Also, white cloud mountain minnows are schooling fish, and will therefore be happier in groups of 8+. However, this will entirely depend on your tank size, so if you have space, you can probably add more minnows to see if his behavior changes.

luffy

It's only a 40L which is why I didn't get 8 and got 6 instead.

FlutterFish

The problem is that white cloud mountain minnows need a minimum of 20 gallons, and 8 of each in order to thrive. Is it possible for you to either rehome the fish or upgrade the tank? I think the PetCo $-per-gallon sale is going on, let me check.

luffy

I just bought the tank and the fish, so that's not going to happen i'm afraid and I am getting a lot of mixed opinions about the amount of minnows in a group, some say 4, some say 5 and some says 10 etc and the minimum tank size seems to vary too from 8-25g. On the forums I've also seen people with more than what I have in their 10G tank. Will keep a close eye on how things go tonight and tomorrow...

FlutterFish

Well, 8 is the recommended minimum amongst most fishkeepers here, and I agree - larger schools for schooling fish make fish more comfortable. Also, WCMM is a highly active fish, so a 15 gallon with a footprint of 24 x 12 would be the bare minimum, and there's a rule of no schooling fish larger than 0.8" in a 10. But for the time being, keep an eye on the lone minnow, and try to upgrade in the future.

luffy

Well, 8 is the recommended minimum amongst most fishkeepers here, and I agree - larger schools for schooling fish make fish more comfortable. Also, WCMM is a highly active fish, so a 15 gallon with a footprint of 24 x 12 would be the bare minimum, and there's a rule of no schooling fish larger than 0.8" in a 10. But for the time being, keep an eye on the lone minnow, and try to upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the advice! as I can't up my tank size, should I add 2 more later? I know its a bit early to tell, but want to keep them as comfortable as possible. It will be at its limit, but I may be able to balance it out with a well maintained tank.

luffy

It seems he's still swimming on his own, but he is eating.. on a different matter though I saw two what I believe to be males (golden ones) fanning their fins next to each other, they seem to be dancing , their lower fins are flapping like a bird and then top and bottom fins are on display ... seems really funny to watch ... is there a reason for this behaviour?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
WillR1496
Replies
Views
wem21
Replies
Views