Lonely Cory?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by modernmarvel, Apr 21, 2017.

1. modernmarvelNew MemberMember

I am concerned my Sterba's cory is lonely. A few days ago my beloved Panda cory, Fandral, died very unexpectedly from unknown causes. I didn't think Sif, my Sterba's cory, would be affected because I never really saw them school or hang out. However, ever since Fandral's death, Sif only leaves her pineapple to eat. Previously, she was quite active. She would spend hours scooting along the bottom or doing her "zoomies" (swimming erratically around the tank). I haven't seen her do anything since Fandral died. Now, I'm not sure if she's lonely or dying too. I think it's a good sign she is eating, but the inactivity worries me. The day Fandral died I tested my water and it was perfect, but I cleaned it anyway. In the tank, there are also 5 tetras- two blue Glo tetras (Thunder & Lightning), one gold skirt (Thor), one long finned black skirt (Loki), and one red minor (Odin). They are all perfectly fine, active, and healthy, although I suspect Loki is carrying eggs at the moment. Because my tetras are acting normally, I suspect Sif is lonely, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

If I'm understanding you, the tank is stocked with 5 tetras and 1 cory?
    Sif is lonely and needs 4-5 more of her cory friends to be happy again, they are a schooling fish and do better in groups

3. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

First of all, your tank size? Second, no offense but that is horrible stocking. All of those fish are schooling fish and need to be kept in a group of 5-6, minimum.

4. modernmarvelNew MemberMember

Yes, you're correct! I figured that's what she needed. My tank is only 10g, so I definitely can't add 4-5 more corys. I'm worried it's already over capacity with the 6 I have now, but I have a great filter and clean it religiously (I've never had an issue with water quality). Would replacing Fandral be sufficient or does she absolutely need a legitimate school?

5. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

They all need a legit school. I'd either get a bigger tank or rehome them, honestly.

6. modernmarvelNew MemberMember

Tank is 10g. No offense taken. There's a long history behind how this tank turned out that is incredibly uninteresting, but I understand that my stock isn't ideal. The tetras, whether they formally school or not, definitely group together and will swim in pairs or as a group. They seem happy, so I'm not really worried about them. I read somewhere that corys could be solitary fish, which is why I only got two, but apparently, that source was incorrect. Looks like I'll be upgrading my tank size.

7. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

What size are you looking at?

8. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I wont touch on the stock of the tank, you know the issues. Corys are definitely schooling fish too, HOWEVER they CAN be kept alone. Ive had many 10g tanks that only had one in it and they were fine. If yours was used to having another with it and that one is all of the sudden gone, its going to need time to adjust for sure.

9. modernmarvelNew MemberMember

Most likely 55g which I already have. When I decided to get fish again I didn't want get too carried away, so I figured a modest 10g would do. Obviously, 10g is just too small for what I want/need.

10. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to the forum :)

11. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Totally false, IMHO. They can thrive in small groups of 3-4 of their own species, but not solo. You're one of those outliers.

12. ams083Valued MemberMember

I had just 1 cory (sterba) in my 55g after some others died a while back (I think caused by the erratic behaviour of the pictus). I've since taken the pictus back to my LFS. I traded it in for a handful of Cory's. I now have 6 peppers, 5 bronze and a sterba. The sterba is now more active, and they all school around together. Its quite good to watch as they are very active and playful.

I have a yoyo that has also started schooling with them.

13. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I've tried cories, can't keep them alive. Or any bottom feeder, really. Plenty of food, good temp, good water, all that. I'm kinda done with them.

14. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

The "zoomies" in fact are a sign of stress on their own !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice