Lonely Betta... Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AlexAlex, Dec 18, 2012.

1. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Good evening folks -

I have a blue male betta (Rhett). He seems to be a bit lonely at times. My question is - Are there any fish I can put in with him that might perk his interest (in a good way)?

He is in a 10 Gallon tank.

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Plastic Nemo Clip :)

3. OP
    OP
    A

AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I hope you're joking! Haha

4. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Imo, you could try 6 neon tetras, people are kind of split on them in a 10g but I'm fine with it. I'm sure you know backup accomodations would be in order in case Rhett doesn't want them in his tank.

A less chancy choice would be a snail.

5. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I have a molly in my 10 gallon to keep my betta Simon company. It was just a little fry when I put it in there and they seem to get along "swimmingly". I will probably have to rehome him once he gets a bit bigger, but the way my mollies reproduce, I'm sure I will have another to take its place.

6. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks Matt and Oscar. I think I might try the Neons. I have 10 Neons in the 29 Gallon along with the red female Betta (Scarlet).

I just didn't know if that would be feasible in a 10 Gallon, though (even with just 6).

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

If you ask me i say the neons as well... plus they have a small bioload and if its just them and the betta its not like they are losing much swimming room.

8. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, neons in a 10g seems to be one of those things that are in a gray area. Just fyi, I keep Cardinals which are bigger bulkier in a 15g. Same footprint as a 10g just taller.

9. OP
    OP
    A

Ah, Cool! Thanks, Monkey and Matt (And for the 15 Gallon Info). I'll keep that in mind. :)

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

He seems bored, not lonely. Most betta are actually content being alone, not having to defend their turf. The confusion comes from when someone adds other fish and the betta seems to perk up because he has friends, when in reality he is just more alert to trespassers. Now, that isn't always a bad thing, it is good imo for a betta to have some challenge in its life. These things can be achieved without other fish being put in harms way of course, floating mirrors, toys, decor switches and teaching them tricks can really give them the activity boost they need. Neons are a hit and miss. Imo, they are fine in a 10gal, it is the betta killing the neons that you have to be careful of.

11. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

What types of toys, switches and tricks can one teach a betta? Really got me interested! Hmmm perhaps a new thread with this info hehe

12. mosaicguppyWell Known MemberMember

IME female endlers seem to work pretty well. I've had some endlers with my crowntail and now my new veiltail. Dwarf cories might also work but it really depends on the betta whether or not you can keep other fish with him.
    You can also try making caves out of pieces of driftwood. I just made one for my veiltail.He loves to hide in it and swim around it when I'm not around. :)

13. OP
    OP
    A

Good idea - Small piece of driftwood. That might work, too. I like the toy idea, too! I saw a video a while back of a goldfish going through a loop-like fish tank toy. lol

Thank you, folks, for the ideas so far. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice