Lonely Angelfish

Twaksak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all

I've recently started a community tropical fish tank and is populated as follows:

3 x male guppies
2 x mollies
2 x pleco
1 x catfish
1 x angelfish

I've been reading up about the angelfish, and I've learnt that they are supposed to be full of personality and life... also according to the pet shop owner that they're school fish... I understand that he's new environment maybe overwhelming and all, but he seems to just be a 'loner'. according to friends that have years of experience, he seems perfectly healthy. I believe he is still very young (as are all the fish in the tank), about 1 1/4 ". The guppies and the mollies seem to get along just fine, swimming together, and swimming through the bubbles and all that. One suggestion made sense to me, and that is my question - Would it be wise to buy another young angelfish to create a more of a 'school' idea for the angelfish?

I have 30l tank, sufficient hiding place (cover), the temperature is approx. 28 degrees.

The rest of the fish are playful and full of life, its just the angelfish that gives a 'lonely' impression.

Please help, and thanks alot for this grand website, I've found alot of helpful tips already.

Thanks,
Kyle

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your angelfish will be fine alone they are not really schooling fish. Adding another would add the possibility of them pairing and spawning. Which at that point they would become very aggressive. Even same sex angels would be aggressive to some extent.
I personally would leave the tank as it is and let it grow a bit and see how you feel about adding another later. I have them in pairs and separately and they are equally beggars and attentive to me when I walk up to the tank.
Carol

Twaksak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks a million. I feel alot better about it now ha ha.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I will do as you have suggested

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool! Let us know how the tank progresses. Oh by the way angel fish love to be bribed with treats
Car0l

Twaksak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Treats eh?!?! ill definitely be looking up on those. I've heard of dried worms and some sort of pellets. So far I've only been feeding them flakes. million thank yous for the help!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your most welcome mine will follow me from one end of the tank to the other for a bite of blood worms LOL
Carol

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

It says in your profile that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. Here is a link describing it: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Your tank is 30 Liters? If so it is really overstocked. 1 angel fish needs at least 30 gallons by themselves. Are the plecos you have bristlenose or common? Common plecos need at least a 55 gallon.

What are you water readings? A great water test kit is the API Master test kit (liquid).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I read it as 30long ( I have two )
So are we talking about 30 liter tank or 30 long? That would influence my advice dramatically
Carol

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's still really overstocked for a 30 long. 2 plecos need a lot of space. And a 30 gallon is good for one angel and not many more fish.

Twaksak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, thanks again for the responses. Its great to be part of such a helpful community.

Its a 30 liter tank. Is it over-stocked? 'cause then I've got to make quick work of telling many of the fish enthusiasts around here so. Strangely many of the tanks I've seen range from 30 - 50 liters and seem stocked as mine, but even more strangely the fish live for long and never seem sickly or anything. Please reply soon in this regard, this maybe urgent. If it is over stocked, what is my next step?

Thanks for the link to the Nitrogen Cycle, I've now read it, I remember it from high school where I learnt it in biology class.

As for the test kit, I'm making work of organizing my own one. I'll bring the readings as soon as possible

As for the Plecos, I have one common Pleco, and I bought another, "Golden Pleco" is what the sign read. I got quite a shock when I paid for it, so I suppose it can't be the common type. I'll research and report back when I find the right name. I was however assured that the pleco wouldn't mind his new environment, and I believed it considering that its new home would be considerably larger that where it had been kept

Thanks again for the response. ALL advice will be taken super seriously and is highly appreciated.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
30 liters =7.93 gallons so yes it is extremely overstocked. Sorry I didn't realize you were talking about liters.
The Guppies or the Molly's would be suitable for the tank but is completely too small for the rest of the fish.
Again I apologize for my error in recognizing the size of your tank.
Carol

Twaksak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
May I ask what the consequences are of having them in a tank too small? I'll be making plans to ship them out into a bigger tank.

and just an update, the angel fish seems a lil more full of life today, he responded to feeding time, and keeps swimming through the bubbles as the other fish do.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Butterfly said:
Cool! Let us know how the tank progresses. Oh by the way angel fish love to be bribed with treats
Car0l
yea i put the food infront of them and they know what it is

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Twaksak said:
May I ask what the consequences are of having them in a tank too small? I'll be making plans to ship them out into a bigger tank.

and just an update, the angel fish seems a lil more full of life today, he responded to feeding time, and keeps swimming through the bubbles as the other fish do.
An overstocked tank tends to have ammonia spikes which can cause finrot and gill problems. Overcrowding is also stressful which can bring on a variety of diseases and it is just uncomfortable for the fish.

Glad the angelfish is a little more responsive today.
Until they can get into a larger tank please do extra water changes to keep their water clean. Plecos are huge waste producers even when their small.
carol

Twaksak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks a million. I'll keep you updated on what's happening, and once again, thanks!! I appreciate it

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads