Lonely Angelfish

Pinina
One of my two angelfish died. The remaining one is a very young one (an inch long). He/she is in a 30 gl cycled, planted tank and it looks lonely. I am scared to try another angel so I am open for stocking suggestions. Thanks

yukondog
Pinina said:
. I am scared to try another angel so I am open for stocking suggestions. Thanks
Why scared? A tank that size [long or tall?] could hold three or four one inchers. Do you have any fish in with him?

Pinina
It is a square one. Since my other angel died, I feel that they might be too delicate and if he/she doesn't like the other angel, it will be stressed and die.
No other tank mates at the moment. But I have a month and a half mollies that eventually would need to be split into other tanks (8 in a 30 gallon tank). Perhaps, in a couple of weeks, I could transfer 4 of those mollies to share the tank with the lonely angel.

StinkyLoaf
Pinina said:
Perhaps, in a couple of weeks, I could transfer 4 of those mollies to share the tank with the lonely angel.
The mollies would essentially be serving as dither fish for the angel. Using dither fish can reduce stress and loneliness in fish and is a common practice. Mollies are known troublemakers and fin nippers though. For dither fish I recommend using danios or deeper bodied tetras to fulfil this purpose rather than mollies.

JayAlva
Pinina said:
One of my two angelfish died. The remaining one is a very young one (an inch long). He/she is in a 30 gl cycled, planted tank and it looks lonely. I am scared to try another angel so I am open for stocking suggestions. Thanks
Rummy nose tetra, cardinal or neon tetras

AggressiveAquatics
In my opinion 2 angels is to much size and aggression wise for a 30 gallon. It’s best to stick with one

Pinina
Now...in trying to replicate the natural environment, I added almond leaves and driftwood but the ph seems to be too high for the angel's liking (7.8+) should I use a lowering agent?

AggressiveAquatics
Pinina said:
Now...in trying to replicate the natural environment, I added almond leaves and driftwood but the ph seems to be too high for the angel's liking (7.8+) should I use a lowering agent?
No don’t. A stable ph is much more important than a perfect ph.

Pinina
AggressiveAquatics said:
No don’t. A stable ph is much more important than a perfect ph.
Oh gosh...I think I know what may have killed him: dropsy. I think my goldfish has it now (it is stayingat the top, almost not movingand the scales seem more prominent) . I isolated her in a 30 gl tank with cycled water ( 7.8 ph, 0 nitrite but it was high on nitatre since I was cycling it- so I did a 30% water change). I am about to treat her with epson salt but I don't know if to treat the entire tank or do salt bath. What would you suggest?
Pinina said:
Oh gosh...I think I know what may have killed him: dropsy. I think my goldfish has it now (it is stayingat the top, almost not movingand the scales seem more prominent) . I isolated her in a 30 gl tank with cycled water ( 7.8 ph, 0 nitrite but it was high on nitatre since I was cycling it- so I did a 30% water change). I am about to treat her with epson salt but I don't know if to treat the entire tank or do salt bath. What would you suggest?
In the picture, I circled what looks like string of poop stuck on her.

AggressiveAquatics
Pinina said:
With dropsy they are usually sitting at the bottom of the tank. Staying at the top sounds like swim bladder. Can you get a picture from a top angle to see if the scales are sticking out into a pinecone shape

Pinina
Can you see it in the one I attached?
Pinina said:
Can you see it in the one I attached?

Latest threads

Top Bottom