Experience
Just started
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3.5 g
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76
What is the entire stocking of this tank? Rabbit snail, marimo moss ball (betta and oto passed away)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Mondays
How much of the water do you change? ~2 g
What do you use to treat your water? Top Fin betta starter
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Api master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: .0
pH: 7.62

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once weekly (snail)
How much do you feed your fish? One pellet or wafer
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Both betta and oto passed away recently: had snail about a month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Fish were sick treated for velvet, then ick... fish died left with snail
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? No symptoms yet for snail
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Changed water about a 75% change after removing bodies
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that i know of
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No changes in snail behavior

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
ok Otocinclus came home with velvet and passed it to betta. Betta alerted me of an issue. Treated with api general cure and removed carbon filters per directions. Otocinclus developed ich/ick. Began treating with api super ich. Otocinclus died a few dats ago. Betta died today.
All I have left is Turbo my rabbit snail. I did a 75% water change. Put two new carbon filters in. Also bought a bag of api nitra zorb. The bag was huge for my tank so I cut the bag tied it with a metal sliver from a bread bag (i did remove paper). I placed this inside the filter since my ammonia and nitrite levels are high. Basically I am starting a whole new cycle. Please can anyone give advice on how to get it going faster. Or more information on how to do a fish in (in my case snail in) cycle. I have always done it prior to buying fish.

Attachments

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry to hear about your fishes passing. As for getting your cycle going faster if you have any access to safe used media that would be probably your best bet (friends, trusted LFS etc). I have no experience with liquid beneficial bacteria- but you could look into it. It does seem like your cycle is going though especially since you have nitrites.

New Threads