Lone Peacock Cichlid

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you keep small fish with a JD they will be eaten. It simply doesn't work. (I am assuming you are talking bout your cories from your other thread)

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would be very careful mixing Parrots with peaceful fish. They’re definitely not a community fish and you’ll likely run into aggression at some point. I’d definitely not even try mixing the JD with anything remotely peaceful, it’s named after a boxer after all

Actual Peacocks are awesome fish, and come in many beautiful colors. You can keep 12-15 of them together in a 55 with adequate filtration. For example, look up OB Peacock Cichlid.

I definitely wouldn’t say you can keep South American, or in your case, Central American cichlids with other fish more often than Africans. There are less aggressive types of south/central American and African that can be mixed with community fish, but all the fish you’ve mentioned are not those.

twilly0611

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bizaliz3 said:
If you keep small fish with a JD they will be eaten. It simply doesn't work. (I am assuming you are talking bout your cories from your other thread)
No he ate half of a convict cichlid and it was about 3 inches before he got to it. I may be rehoming him if this is the case.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
twilly0611 said:
No he ate half of a convict cichlid and it was about 3 inches before he got to it. I may be rehoming him if this is the case.
Well that says it all doesn't it? if he can catch and eat a 3 inch convict....the cories will be easy snacks!!

As I said in your other thread...sadly, I do think rehoming the JD is your only option if you want a community with different sized fish.

twilly0611

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaticJ said:
I would be very careful mixing Parrots with peaceful fish. They’re definitely not a community fish and you’ll likely run into aggression at some point. I’d definitely not even try mixing the JD with anything remotely peaceful, it’s named after a boxer after all

Actual Peacocks are awesome fish, and come in many beautiful colors. You can keep 12-15 of them together in a 55 with adequate filtration. For example, look up OB Peacock Cichlid.

I definitely wouldn’t say you can keep South American, or in your case, Central American cichlids with other fish more often than Africans. There are less aggressive types of south/central American and African that can be mixed with community fish, but all the fish you’ve mentioned are not those.
I tried doing some research before I went and chose a fish to go into the tank with the BPCs, when I introduced the Corys they kinda nipped at them but I’m assuming it was out of curiosity because now they’re not even bothered by them being in the tank and swimming around them. I guess I got lucky.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
twilly0611 said:
I tried doing some research before I went and chose a fish to go into the tank with the BPCs, when I introduced the Corys they kinda nipped at them but I’m assuming it was out of curiosity because now they’re not even bothered by them being in the tank and swimming around them. I guess I got lucky.
Parrots have deformed mouths that they often can't even fully close. So They aren't even really capable of catching and eating a fast moving fish. They might be ok with the cories, but the JD will not be ok with the cories.

twilly0611

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bizaliz3 said:
Parrots have deformed mouths that they often can't even fully close. So They aren't even really capable of catching and eating a fast moving fish. They might be ok with the cories, but the JD will not be ok with the cories.
yea they are still Juvenile, they are still 2inches and 3 inches, I saw that it’s better to put all you want in when they are younger so they are used to them and don’t view them as food.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
twilly0611 said:
yea they are still Juvenile, they are still 2inches and 3 inches, I saw that it’s better to put all you want in when they are younger so they are used to them and don’t view them as food.
Letting large fish grow up with the life long smaller tank mates can be helpful for sure. And it might be a good idea with the parrots.
But with fish like JDs....its just in their nature to be nasty. It really doesn't matter if they grow up with the fish or not.

RachaelFishHero

Reaction score
I have an electric blue African. When I bough him he was the only fish in his tank for 4 months. I've had him for 3 months. I just recently bought a peacock to be his tank friend. Things didn't go as planned. King (electric blue) doesn't want anyone in his tank. He is a lone wolf. I was a little sad since I had this beautiful African tank planned. But I will do what ever it is to keep my babies happy.

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
twilly0611 said:
I only want one. I like South American Cichlids more because you can house them with other types of fish. But he’s like first fish I got. And I know he won’t get along with anything else so it’s the best I could do. He’s never been sick and I’m assuming he’s very hardy since he survived my amateur stage. Ive been changing the water and cleaning the tank once a week since he’s bigger. I’m attaching a picture of the tank and his size relative to the tank.
You can keep other fish with peacocks too! Different catfish, plecos, different type of African cichlids. And also it's **** there are some South Americans and Africans that can be house together! If you can private message on here message me. I have 20 tanks and keep Africans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
twilly0611 said:
when I bought it I had no idea of what I was doing, I was going completely off what the people at Petco told me. I didn’t even know he was an African Cichlid until like May 2018 after 4 months of having him. I didn’t find out he was a peacock cichlid until yesterday. I only want the one. I never wanted an African cichlid but I’m keeping him cause that wouldn’t be fair to just disown him. I wanted a tank where I could have 1 or 2 “stars” of the tank and then have smaller species around them. That’s what I did but nobody at Petco told me that my fish were incompatible. They told me I could house ALL semi aggressive fish together. This was a pure accident. Thanks @Anders247 for the simple reply. I will look into getting something bigger for him. What do you think would be a good minimum size for just one peacock cichlid?
What type of peacock is he?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
twilly0611 said:
the guys at Petco told me he was a peacock cichlid but it turns out he’s a jack Dempsey Cichlid
Yeah I sent that before reading the thread. Sorry. Definitely need a bigger tank. But they are cool if you can properly house them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom