Lone nerite had babies

kitkatty

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve been having one Nerite snail for about over three months in my 29 gallon freshwater tank, and this morning I woke up to find about 30+ little baby snails in my tank and all in my substrate. They have a baby she’ll and are alive and moving, how did it give birth in my tank water parameters if they weren’t brackish? And what can I do to get rid of them, I don’t want that many snails to mess with my Ammonia levels.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those small snails aren't nerites, but probably just pest/bladder snails that were introduced to the tank through plants.
If I were you I'd remove them asap unless you want hundreds of them in no time.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nerites don't successfully breed in fresh. Those aren't nerites, but rather a "pest". Malaysian trumpets maybe.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Those aren't nerite snails. They're Malaysian trumpet snails

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi & welcome, as said above those aren't nerites, probably MTS or bladder snails & they will breed.

kitkatty

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven’t introduce any new
plants, how did they all of a sudden show up? I’ve had those plants since April. How can i get rid them?

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They may have been hiding in your substrate, mts are very good at that.

To get rid of them you can pull them out by hand, or place a piece of lettuce in the tank and remove it when its covered in snails. You could also get an assassin snail, but they will also try to eat your nerite

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kitkatty said:
I haven’t introduce any new
plants, how did they all of a sudden show up? I’ve had those plants since April. How can i get rid them?
Maybe you haven't noticed them until now cause they were too few or too small. I have had tanks in the past that I thought to be snail free until suddenly noticing a ton of very very small snails all over the place.
There are snail traps you can try or you can simply remove them by hand. Never crush them though, cause crushing them will provide more food for the snails left in the tank and they will eat what's left of them.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom