Lone male molly, 10 gal

seeker3313

Reaction score
I had a molly and a black widow tetra in a 3.5 tank that was given to me. I moved them yesterday to a 10 gal ( it was cycled and tested before adding fish). The tetra died, and now I have just the molly. It is a male lyretail. I have been reading that even the 10 gallon is too small for mollies. Should I get another fish to keep him company? Is the tank still too small? What kind of fish can go with him? I don’t want babies. Will two male mollies fight? ( I’m a fish noob, please help)

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
seeker3313 said:
I had a molly and a black widow tetra in a 3.5 tank that was given to me. I moved them yesterday to a 10 gal ( it was cycled and tested before adding fish). The tetra died, and now I have just the molly. It is a male lyretail. I have been reading that even the 10 gallon is too small for mollies. Should I get another fish to keep him company? Is the tank still too small? What kind of fish can go with him? I don’t want babies. Will two male mollies fight? ( I’m a fish noob, please help)
Mollies do best in a 20g long or up. They can grow up to 5 inches so in a 10g he will probably be cramped, I would either upgrade and make a community tank or leave him be in the 10g :).

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ideally you want 20g or up for mollies. And you'll want several of them. they're very social. I'd even consider bigger than 20g for them. I have a 4 1/2 molly in my 90g. So for a small fish they have potential to get pretty big

New Threads