Lone little Cory Cat...

TNBarnBum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i'm currently working on setting up a 29 gallon community tank and had been planning on adding a school of cory cats. When I told a friendly Petsmart worker this she said she had one for free should could give me and pulls out the tiniest most adorable little albino cory I've ever seen. So needless to say i'm bringing him home.

Now the community tank I was planning on putting them in isn't ready yet.

I do have a fifteen gallon glo tank with five glo-danios and a handful of ghost shrimp. It is fully cycled however the glo decor and theme just hasn't seemed to do well and since I kept loosing danios I had decided to take the tank down and move everyone to the community when it is setup.

Could I put the cory in with the danios and shrimp for now? Also should I get more cories right away or wait till the 29 is ready? Kind of threw me a curve ball as I had planned to do a bit more research before bringing them home but I just couldn't say no.

feeshi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They should be fine in the 15gal temporarily, especially if they are small. But you may have to keep an eye in ammonia/nitrite and perhaps do bigger or additional water change if you plan to add 6 into the 15gal.
Or you could get a few more so hes not lonely in the 15gal then finish the school when your 29gal is finished. :)

OP
TNBarnBum

TNBarnBum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I'll go ahead and get two more for now then another three when I move them to the larger tank. I feel so bad for the little guy right now.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get both Bronze and Albino Cories to make a school, they're the same species!

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely want at least 6 of the same kind. It helps with the stress as they are a schooling fish.

OP
TNBarnBum

TNBarnBum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sooo the only cories my local store had were the SterbaI Cories. I got two in hopes of him schooling with them and the little albino has not been hanging out with them exactly but is usually nearby. :(

So i'm attempting to order more of the albino to make him happy. Could I do three total albino and three sterbaI in the tank for a total of six or will that simply create two groups of stressed out fish?

Worse comes to worse I could return the SterbaI but I hate to do that.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TNBarnBum said:
Sooo the only cories my local store had were the SterbaI Cories. I got two in hopes of him schooling with them and the little albino has not been hanging out with them exactly but is usually nearby. :(

So i'm attempting to order more of the albino to make him happy. Could I do three total albino and three sterbaI in the tank for a total of six or will that simply create two groups of stressed out fish?

Worse comes to worse I could return the SterbaI but I hate to do that.
Return the SterbaI or the albino, chose one and make it a school of at least 6. Of you keep the albino you can get bronze, or green corries since they are the same species.

OP
TNBarnBum

TNBarnBum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CoryFan said:
Return the SterbaI or the albino, chose one and make it a school of at least 6. Of you keep the albino you can get bronze, or green corries since they are the same species.
I've ordered a school of six of the albino since he was here first.

I'll return the Sterbai. Should I wait till the other albino arrive or does it matter since he's not really schooling with them?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TNBarnBum said:
I've ordered a school of six of the albino since he was here first.

I'll return the Sterbai. Should I wait till the other albino arrive or does it matter since he's not really schooling with them?
It doesn’t matter, whenever you have time.

OP
TNBarnBum

TNBarnBum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also just moved the three to the 29 gallon with sand bottom and they seem much happier sifting through it vs the gravel in the temp aquarium.

New Threads