lone fish

1. yEvb0 Initiate Member

Hello,

What fish don't mind being alone, or being the only one of their species in a tank? I don't have room for much of a school in my small tank (per my earlier post).

Thanks!

2. yEvb0 Initiate Member

to clarify, I'm looking for smallish suggestions :)

3. beckers4oranges Member Member

betta fish...what kinda aquarium do you have?

4. yEvb0 Initiate Member

6g with heater, filter, plastic plants, and aerator

5. vin Well Known Member Member

6. yEvb0 Initiate Member

Is it best to keep them in pairs?

7. vin Well Known Member Member

Not necessarily, but if you get a male and a femaie, they will swim together, usually. If you get only one, I would recommend a male since their colors are more vibrant. :)

8. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i would say and ABF but they would probalby need a little more swimming room

9. yEvb0 Initiate Member

ABF=?

A Betta Fish?

10. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

If you get gouramis, just make sure you don't get two males ;)

11. beckers4oranges Member Member

a 6 gallon is perfect for a betta plus crowntailed bettas are some of the prettiest fish out there...and mine is lookin at me right now lol

12. yEvb0 Initiate Member

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the advice! After consultation with my gf, I think we're going to go with a m+f dwarf gourami. We'll probably visit some shops later today. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

13. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Six Gallons isn't really big enough for two Gouramis. Especially if you get male + female. When they get ready to spawn(and they will) the male will get very aggressive, and since there is nowhere for the female to go he will kill her.
    they are beautiful fish and need and deserve a little more room. Just my thoughts and experience
    Carol

14. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ABF=african butterfly fish they are really cool fish but i would think your tank is more deep than long so they wouldnt be good

15. yEvb0 Initiate Member

The store only had males, so he is a bachelor for now. We'll see how it goes, and maybe I'll think about getting him a little friend so he won't be lonely. If it's of another species, what would anyone suggest? I wish I could get a bottom feeder to clean up the bottom of the tank, but it seems like most of the little cats like to be in groups...

16. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I think Bulldog plecs are good cleaners, and they only get to 2 inches long, but have no experience lol

17. yEvb0 Initiate Member

can they be kept individually?

18. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

yup pretty sure -- most plecs will do fine on their own :)

19. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

20. yEvb0 Initiate Member

I got yelled at in another forum for putting even one dwarf gourami in anything less than 15g :( Do you think he'll be okay if I keep it clean?

It's hard to figure out what to do with so much conflicting information available. Not to mention people with differing opinions ;)