Lone Female Ram Help

1. ash182 Initiate Member

Hi

I dont think my tank is big enough to buy a pair of rams (13g) so i was thinking of just buying one female as ive read males can be v.aggressive.

Do you think a female german blue ram would do ok by itself in a community tank?

Thanks

2. VenomGrass Member Member

What type of ram is the first one? Blue rams are very hard to keep according to data bases, I have x2 bolivian rams and it's silly to have them alone i'd say as they never leave each other. Two males will be violent so male and female is recommended. Or a male and x2 female. Whats currently in the tank?
    cheers

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I think you are overstocked now and adding more, would be an even more issue :( the fish you have will outgrow a 15g tank

EDIT: advise offered in your other post as well
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ram-cichlid/60434-german-blue-rams-advice.html#post727071

4. ash182 Initiate Member

According to thinkfish.com aquarium calculator, we still have 13cm left in our tank? The biggest fish in there is 6cm so i don't think that will outgrow the tank?

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you have to look at adult sizes of your fish not as juvies :(
    your platies will get to 5.1 to 7.6 cm x 3 =15.3 - 22.8 cm
    your ottos will be 2.5cm x 4= 10cm
    your neons are the same as ottos so another 10cm
    your barbs get to 5cm x 6 = 30cm
    and your gourami will be about 5.1 cm

so total, you are stocked now :(

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It may be 6cm at the moment, but fish grow. When we stock our tanks we have to look at the adult size of the fish.
    Imo, never rely solely on so called calculators or compatibility charts.
    Do research, search and read, read, read.

7. ash182 Initiate Member

Yeah i have looked at adult sizes :) Fishlore states that 'Females can reach a size of up to 2.5 inches' which is about 5cm, they shudnt reach 7cm no way!

Thanks for ur advice tho, ill have a think about getting a ram as like i said, thinkfish is a solid website with good info, u shud take a look at the aquarium creator. it lets u no what cm of fish u have and what u have left etc and tells u any problems. We've used that guide up to yet and had no problems with the fish, water levels etc.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Well, there ya. :) Best of luck with your tank.
    The members can only give their suggestions, it's up to you to decide what to do with those suggestions.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I have a 3 inch platy...they can get larger than 2.5 trust me...but I also have 2 inch males...my girls seem to get much larger...chubbettes i call them lol.... no matter what thinkfish says ;) im not doubting your site or your fish..just advising from my own experience.......its your tank, to do as you wish , and I hope things go well no matter what you choose...but IMO your tank is fully stocked....good luck!