Lone blood red parrot?

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve been looking for a fish to add to my 75 gallon. I’ve been reading about the blood red parrot and would like to know if a single specimen would be ok in my tank.

75 gallon, 5 angels, 9 cardinal tetras, 10 cory, 1 bn pleco. Filtration is an FX4 plus a large sponge filter. It’s also planted, not yet heavily, but will be when the plants grow in. I change 50% of the water every Saturday.

Basically I’ve been looking for a compatible fish with personality to go with my current setup.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't because the angels may bully him, and since they are deformed they can't eat well in some cases so the angels or cardinals may outcompete? May even try to catch and eat cardinal tetras.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think a bp would probably be fine. I've got two myself, and I would have no problem keeping mine in the set up you described.

That said, I had a third one and that fish was just mean. Just very aggressive. And there was also a large bp at my lfs that I was thinking about getting but at the time I had black neons I was worried about. The store put a feeder goldfish with the bp to see how it would react and it ate the feeder immediately. So if your bp gets large enough the Cardinals may be food.

I love my blood parrots but I always warn people that certain individuals can be aggressive.

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Never kept parrots but I’ve heard as far as aggression they can be hit or miss (not sure if true). I have kept Severums though and they would certainly be an option. I have 2 greens. . . though I prefer the other color morphs.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. I got the angels as juveniles and they’re growing up with the cardinals. The angels completely ignore the cardinals.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lisa99 said:
I’ve been looking for a fish to add to my 75 gallon. I’ve been reading about the blood red parrot and would like to know if a single specimen would be ok in my tank.

75 gallon, 5 angels, 9 cardinal tetras, 10 cory, 1 bn pleco. Filtration is an FX4 plus a large sponge filter. It’s also planted, not yet heavily, but will be when the plants grow in. I change 50% of the water every Saturday.

Basically I’ve been looking for a compatible fish with personality to go with my current setup.
Hi! I have 1 blood parrot cichlid that is approaching 2 years with me. They are awesome fish and agree with what some others have said. Believe it or not they can get fairly big. Mine is 8” long but he is kind of a chunkaroo, lol. They can be fairly aggressive (mine is basically the boss of the tank, and there are two 8-9” oscars in there) and I personally think any smaller tetras would either be eaten or to stressed. I would say without the tetras your tank would be fine and maybe you could pull it off with the tetras, but it’s a gamble and depends on the individual fish. I would just be cautious. They are wonderful fish with loads of personality, however they do have some challenges. Honestly with your setup it would depend on the fish. Space wise I think you’d be ok but I don’t know about those tetras. Good luck!

BobbyTez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got a pair of blood parrots is a 55 gallon that’s over stocked and they can handle there own just fine not over aggressive and not timid they have there own cave but let other fish in they move slow but they can be very fast, they have small mouths but they eat more than lots of other fish, they love all kind of food but mostly frozen shrimps and blood worms, they look awesome full grown size like a softball.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can move the cardinals back to the 20 long with the betta.

He ignored them too and he’ll never get big enough to eat them. If I didn’t know bettas could be aggressive I’d never believe it based on his behavior.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom