5 Gallon Tank Lone Betta

drudometkin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I've had this 6 gallon tank for about a year now. It's very low maintenance and I like that. The betta loves it, he swims all over the place. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for small additional fish that I could put in here to make this tank more interesting. Thanks!

683.jpg

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Very nice tank!!! In my 3gal, with my betta I addd a ADF (frog) and 2 snails. One of the snails is very active, not so much the other. The frog is really cute. Probably you will have people telling you to add ghost shrimp... I love the lon plants in your tank!

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Look into apple (mystery) snails and bamboo, cherry, blueberry, bumblebee or red crystal shrimp.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi and welcome to fishlore

A word of caution... Betta's are really territorial and honestly IME they do better without tank-mates. I've he's had the tank to himself for a year I don't know how happy he'll be with someone new in his space.

ADF's from what I've heard are pretty passive little guys and while adorably cute they can be tough to feed (don't see very well) and the Betta if he decides to take offense to them could hurt them or stress them alot.
Shrimp are pretty peaceful but a lot of the time they eventually become very expensive betta snacks.
Snails are a good choice to try as a tank-mate but be warned that a large number of betta's (almost every one I've had) peck at the snails and will bite their antanae as well.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try your boy with a tank-mate but you're tanks to small for anything but the ones listed above (as far as I can think of). Betta's really have alot of personallity and you could maybe change the tank up, some new decor some new plants etc. and add a few toys for you're boy and he'll probably pick up and be more active...

drudometkin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good idea. Probably just get some new decor. This betta is funny sometimes. My cat likes to harass him by sitting next to the tank and looking in. but lately he's been standing up to my cat and getting flared up and not swimming off to hide. lol

684.jpg

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ghost shrimp will be eaten for sure. I listed only shrimp that will be too large to eat. I do agree with red's advice, I was just listing species I've had success with (and yes snails tenticles will be bitten from time to time.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I love the tank and your betta is really cute.
After being alone for such a long time, he may not accept any tank mates.
If you decide on an ADF, snail or shrimp, ge sure to keep a close eye on them.

Most bettas are loners anyway, they prefer their owners attention over anything else

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good idea. Probably just get some new decor. This betta is funny sometimes. My cat likes to harass him by sitting next to the tank and looking in. but lately he's been standing up to my cat and getting flared up and not swimming off to hide. lol

684.jpg
Hehe they really are interesting characters
I love the staring contest that they have going on right now

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore and let's say I really love your tank. I have a really small tank for my Betta and now that you brought up this matter, you made me a bit worried about mine, I am going to pay more attention to my Betta and play more with him. I think I have to get a bigger tank for him. poor him, he doesn't seem active and usually is very calm.

Bahar

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The best tankmate for your betta is you! They love to interact with their owners. And I see the cat is making life interesting as well!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning.

Great photos! Beautiful tank and Betta. Love the cat too

I also suggest that you use caution adding tank mates. I've seen mention of many betta tank mates being hurt or even killed. I'm glad you've decided on new decor instead!

I've moved your thread to the Betta section of the forum.
Thanks and please keep us updated.
Ken

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nice tank! I also have a Betta and he loves company of my guppies swimming around with them and most of the time is with them. But some Betta's become aggressive towards other fish in the same tank. Mystery snails are great with them and they will keep the tank clean too.

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to the forum!
What a lovely set up you have. If he has had all that space to himself he probably wouldn't be too keen to share it with newcomers.
You are enough of a wonderful friend for him, and the cat!

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If he's happy - leave him.

I totally agree with one of the above suggestions of changing around the decor.. every so often my tanks get a change around.. mainly when the decorations need a scrub - I replace them with a totally different theme for a while and swap them out with the next 'big clean up' which happen about every two months. For a while my tank was very minimist with red plants, glass stones over the substrate and a couple of old champagne coupe and a white with silver snowflakes backgound (which was in fact a left over bit of metallic christmas wrap.. because of the white it wasn' reflective and it looked very awesome)- Firesong used to 'lounge' in the coupe and play around their stems (one was upright, the other on it's side) - Then it got a blue theme - I changed the background to a bluey green standard tank background and added blue decorations, I took the coupe out but left the other large rounded clear glass decorations in the tank to pick up the blue (I have a large clear glass sphere with bubbles in the glass) and introduced new plants - firesong has a blue body and stunning red fins so he stood out really well. When I got bored with that -I changed it around again, I removed the background (we have cream walls) took out the decorations and got in a trio of large river stones and made a little cave (two parallel with each other and the third on top), added a couple of terracotta houses and a bunch more plants and gave the tank a more natural look.

The final thing I do to keep my tank as the main focal point of the living room - I also have a second betta whose tank is set up in my bedroom.. most visitors weren't even aware of this tank.. so when I did the last 'big clean' I swapped fish - the crowntail went into the bedroom tank and the halfmoon in the living room tank... people just stop and stare at the new fishie because they haven't seen him before.

I wouldn't add a tank mate - I'd get creative!!

Last edited:

pamd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like the same six-gallon Eclipse tank I have, only yours is better decorated.

I had a fascinating golden mystery snail that lived in perfect harmony with my betta, Antonio. It was a nice combo.

The snail died a few days ago at the age of 1-1/2. It wasn't because of Antonio. They pretty much ignored each other. But, and this is a big caveat, the snail was there a couple of days before Antonio. I don't think I'd introduce a new tank mate at your fish's age, who probably has well-established territorial instincts in his home.

That's an adorable photo of the cat and your fish looking at each other!

McAttack

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just to tag onto this thread here. I'm really thinking of adding a new tank with a Betta in it. Saw the Fluval Edge aquarium which is a very beautiful tank. It's about 6Gal I think.

My main tank I believe is a bit over stocked cause I did one really dumb mistake of buying a second small pleco cause the first one wasn't "cleaning" as much as I had hoped. So I'm wondering if I can move one of the plecos (they're both small, one is a year old and still 3") with the Betta.

Also, if anybody has experience with the tank, the guy at the LFS told me it might not be good for Bettas cause it does create a lot of surface agitation. I just really think that a gorgeous fish like this deserves something as stunning to showcase it. I look at some of pictures on this forum and I can't believe how beautiful some of these fish can be.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom