Lone African Dwarf Frog Survivor

• Thread starter lacancap
  • Start date

lacancap

Hi all,
I came into possession of a pair of ADFs a while back (friend impulse bought, didn't have resources) and have had them for almost 5 months now. This afternoon, the male started acting strangely (after a 50% water change), even though most of my water changes are at that level and there hadn't been any problems before. I quickly ruled out chlorine (I dosed a little bit more prime but the other frog hasn't been affected at all), but by nightfall my boy was dead. I'm not stuck in a conundrum.
I know African Dwarf Frogs are social. I'm glad whoever gave me these frogs got a pair. BUT, there are no lps near me; so to get an ADF, I'd have to risk a trek to petco or petsmart, which means, given the advent of different fungi and bacteria, a 3 month quarantine for my new froggo. Yet I don't have the resources or capacity to set up a long-term quarantine tank right now. Aside from that, even if I did, my female frog would still be alone for 3 months. So, my question is this –
what would be the actual damage of letting my female frog stay, alone, for the remainder of her life? I'm not sure how old they were when I got them, but they were already sexually mature. Is there any negative impact that would manifest long-term that wouldn't manifest in the 3-4 months it would take for me to safely introduce a new friend? (It may be even longer given the current quarantine restrictions in my state). I know this is a weird position, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Right now, I'm leaning towards not adding another frog and letting my female enjoy solitary life for as long as she hangs on. Thanks!

the sudden deterioration is particularly alarming for my male. At 2 p.m. today, he was still swimming around, hunting (and eating food), and last night I even heard him singing for a mate. And today, less than 10 hours later, dead. Floating upside down at the top of the tank. Does anyone know what could be responsible for such a sudden change? I find something like a disease unlikely for such a large demeanor change.

Best Answer - View Kjeldsen's answer

FishMommer

:( So sorry for your loss. ADFs are adorable. No idea on the sudden death. Did you check your water parameters? Are there fish in this tank as well?

Why would another frog need a 3 month qt? Not saying it wouldn't, just I never heard of such a long quarantine.

lacancap

FishMommer said:
:( So sorry for your loss. ADFs are adorable. No idea on the sudden death. Did you check your water parameters? Are there fish in this tank as well?

Why would another frog need a 3 month qt? Not saying it wouldn't, just I never heard of such a long quarantine.
Water parameters were 0, 0, 10, but this was after the 50% waterchange (didn't really think to check before since i didn't realize anything wrong). There are no fish in the tank. I kept a neon that was recovering from some odd virus in there with them like a month ago, but otherwise its just the two of them.

The three month quarantine would be because most of the ADFs here in CA are co-housed with ACFs (at least in pet shops near me) which are carriers (but themselves immune to) a deadly fungal infection called Chytrid, which has an incubation period of 2 months. (So I guess quarantine would more likely be for 10 weeks instead of 3 months – misremembered slightly).

Here's a link to more about the Chytrid fungus, written by an MD in the field! (In case you're curious):

"The chytrid fungus has an incubation period of two months, necessitating a period of quarantine for at least this long for the African dwarf frog. The chytrid fungus can stay alive for three to four weeks in tap water"

FishMommer

Yes I have heard about it. :(

I am not sure if you are allowed to order in out there in CA? There is a conpany called AZaquatics I think? I saw they had ADFs for sale? If that helps? If not all the best til' things settle.

lacancap

FishMommer said:
Yes I have heard about it. :(

I am not sure if you are allowed to order in out there in CA? There is a conpany called AZaquatics I think? I saw they had ADFs for sale? If that helps? If not all the best til' things settle.
for the foreseeable future, my household has decided to quarantine anything shipped for at least 24 hours. this places limitations on the wildlife i may order (i've only ordered hardy aquatic plants since quarantine like marimo moss or hornwort). i'll probably post an ad on r/aquaswap, but otherwise, will probably keep froggy alone :(

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Very thoughtful post. So sorry about your little guy. I'm not a fan of big water changes for this reason, but many people have no problem with them. You just never know.

lacancap said:
The three month quarantine would be because most of the ADFs here in CA are co-housed with ACFs (at least in pet shops near me)
Do you mean Canada or California? ACFs are illegal here so I'm sure they're not being co-housed, but that's something to think about in other places. Yikes. As for keeping singles, many do successfully. In the words of Dr. Neale Monks "Frogs don't get lonely." and I trust his opinion. I like keeping several because I enjoy watching their interactions, but no harm keeping singles either, apparently.

ixchel

lacancap said:
Hi all,
I came into possession of a pair of ADFs a while back (friend impulse bought, didn't have resources) and have had them for almost 5 months now. This afternoon, the male started acting strangely (after a 50% water change), even though most of my water changes are at that level and there hadn't been any problems before. I quickly ruled out chlorine (I dosed a little bit more prime but the other frog hasn't been affected at all), but by nightfall my boy was dead. I'm not stuck in a conundrum.
I know African Dwarf Frogs are social. I'm glad whoever gave me these frogs got a pair. BUT, there are no lps near me; so to get an ADF, I'd have to risk a trek to petco or petsmart, which means, given the advent of different fungi and bacteria, a 3 month quarantine for my new froggo. Yet I don't have the resources or capacity to set up a long-term quarantine tank right now. Aside from that, even if I did, my female frog would still be alone for 3 months. So, my question is this –
what would be the actual damage of letting my female frog stay, alone, for the remainder of her life? I'm not sure how old they were when I got them, but they were already sexually mature. Is there any negative impact that would manifest long-term that wouldn't manifest in the 3-4 months it would take for me to safely introduce a new friend? (It may be even longer given the current quarantine restrictions in my state). I know this is a weird position, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Right now, I'm leaning towards not adding another frog and letting my female enjoy solitary life for as long as she hangs on. Thanks!
oh no :'(
sorry for your loss
i recently lost 4 frogs. i treated the tank with general cure. would general cure kill Chytrid?? ive never quarantined any of my fish or frogs

hey and shes not completely solitary in life.. she has you :)

Top Bottom