Log of sorority creating.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by WolfaraRose, Aug 9, 2014.

1. WolfaraRose

WolfaraRose Valued Member Member

Figured I may as well start this, based on my own experiences.
    The goal is - to create a sorority with female bettas already in my possession, and add a few more.
    # of prospected bettas - 4 possible 5
    # of bettas now - 3
    The why - Instead of limiting the space like I plan on doing with my boys (because woof knows, they will really seriously maim eachother) I have decided on a 10 gallon sorority. Slighty overstocked I know (I am going of the logic of the overstocking a cichlid tank, to reduce aggression) But it would allow a bit more fish in a house that already has limited tank space.

Here are the 2 girls I am doing this with, and just fyi, this is under intense observation.

This is Axie. She was in the tank first.
    P080914_1754.jpg P080914_1754b.jpg

And this is Caoimhe (kee-vy) who is still a little torn up, but looks much better. She has a perpetual stripe running lengthwise down her body.
    P080914_1758.jpg

Method #1 - Failed and please do not do this
    Acclimated Caoimhe to the tank, and let her loose. Axie apparently took this as a sign to maim her, and thus Caoimhe had some very torn fins, and didn't look like she was going to make it.

Method #2 - Failed, but could possibly work in the future with a different female
    Caoimhe was isolated into a Breeder net, in the same side of the 10 gallon as Axie, to heal up and get them used to each other. Waited patiently about 2 weeks till tonight, when Caoimhe was released again into the tank. Sat and waited silently and very still to watch the following interaction - Caoimhe was not comfortable without the net, and Axie once again took advantage of the slightly smaller girl, and gave a chase and some warning nips.

Method #3 - This is what i am trying now
    Axie is isolated in the net until Caoimhe gets more used to being without the net, and also giving her time to get used to the surroundings, become a bit more confident, and also provides Caoimhe a bit more time to heal up her still slightly battered fins. In about a week to 2 weeks Axie will be released, and I will document the verdict here.

Allright. So there it is. If there are any suggestions, comments, etc, feel free to let me know.

2. b

bowen747x Valued Member Member

interesting, thanks for the read. Good luck! will keep an eye here for updates

3. OP
    OP
    WolfaraRose

No worries. It's a trial and error at this point and since I literally have no social life save for here and Facebook, Fish have sorta become my life. Will keep this updated.

4. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a interesting experiment :) my two girl bettas were in the 29 gallon together and for about 5 months. I then took them out of there and set up the 7 gallon tank and decorated and cycled it... Then placed the girls in at the same time and they have been in there for around two weeks and no trouble at all :) maybe an idea for you :)

5. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Just a couple of things you can try to break up the territory issues...

1. Change the layout of the tank immediately prior to adding the new fish. This disrupts the original territory and can reduce aggression.

2. Remove the original fish for a few days and add them both at the same time. Same idea as above.

3. Add more than one fish at a time. The idea of overstocking a tank of aggressives is that with multiple fish in the tank the most aggressive cant single out an individual to pick on as they will be jostling for territory with multiple fish. By adding one at a time you are completely negating this method.

For the best chance at getting everyone settled in I'd do a combination of all three.

Pull the original, change the tank layout, and add anyone that is going in there right now at the same time. This way they are all on equal footing from the beginning in a "new" area.

6. OP
    OP
    WolfaraRose

I will do your suggestion once the 10 is just for females. And once I have all the females. Meanwhile I gotta get busy on the boys tank, and when that is ready is when I will redo the 10. Thanks for the suggestion EricV

Right now, it's just trying to get rid of the breeder's net.

7. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i have a 10 gallon soroity first i added 4 bettas that were siblings than 3 extras and they get along well with plants and caves.

8. OP
    OP
    WolfaraRose

9. OP
    OP
    WolfaraRose

Ok! 3rd Method was Booted seeing as how I got a new Female today.

Method 4
    Took all the girls out and let them sit in cups till I rearranged the tank. Added a new plant, an african Anubias? and moved the rest of the plants around. Acclimated the new girl and put her in, followed by the other 2 girls I took out.
    So far, the two newest ones have a bit of nipped fins, but nothing too serious. Axie is a smidge bit bigger then them, but seems to be confused by the new layout to do anything serious.

This looks like it may work if the new girls become more confident. They are under close observation at this time.

10. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

yay! good luck! :D i got a new girl a few days ago and she's under an inch big... And my other two girls are two inches big... Im afraid she's going to be bullied :(

The qt tub is now her grow out tank temporarily!

11. OP
    OP
    WolfaraRose

Method 4 has worked! My 3 girls are happy as could be now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice