Location + Plants = ?!?!?

1. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone -- i have been trying to do some research on this, but can't seem to find a straightforward answer...

Each plant has it's own location in the tank of where it is supposed to be located (for example, backdrop, middle, front)

Why does this matter? Will the plant not thrive if placed in another position besides what is recommended? Is it really important?

I am going to my LFS to get some anubias (probably anubias nana) tomorrow, and I have gotten conflicting information about where these specific plants are supposed to be in my tank. Does anyone know?

And I am sorry, but I have one more question -- Can I tie the anubias to my driftwood using a sterilized rubber band, while I am waiting for the roots to connect, or is the rubber band a bad idea? They also sell anubias already attached to driftwood but they sell for like 25 dollars.. a little pricey.. but I guess I am willing to sacrifice a little extra money if you guys think that it's worth it.

;) Thanks In Advance, and sorry so many questions, but this is my first time with live plants, and I am a little nervous ::)

2. chris02_84 Member Member

i doesn't matter at all...they have it like that so it's easier to view...smaller stuff in the front big stuff in the back that way you can see well...but it has no affect on your plants. as long as they get adequate lighting...

as far as your other question don't know...i would do it....but you can also staple it too....as long as the rubber band wasn't REALLY tight i don't see why not...

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

It does not matter where you position a plant inside your tank - the plant will grow in any place as long as it's provided with adequate lighting and as long as no other plant blocks the light from it. The reasons for which there are "back", "middle", and "front" plants are aesthetics and aquascaping. It simply looks better when you have smaller plants in front and taller/larger plants in the back. If you put a small plant behind a large one, you won't be able to see the small plant. So why put it there if you won't even see it? Of course, you can still do that - it won't hurt the plant.

I don't know if a rubber band is safe for aquaria (maybe it is, so wait until someone who knows can help you with that). But you can also use a regular black cotton thread to tie a plant to a driftwood piece or to a rock. Black cotton thread will appear "invisible" on driftwood so it will look as if the plant wasn't tied with anything. The thread will dissolve with time, or you can remove it after the plant has rooted. I think it's a really convenient way to tie plants to driftwood or rocks. Another alternative would be a fishing line - but it won't look as aesthetic as black cotton looks - it will be "visible". And it isn't as flexible as a thread is.

I don't think you should be spending $25 on a new driftwood piece with the plant(s) when you already have your own driftwood. Buying the plants alone will cost you much less. And it's so easy to tie them to driftwood where they will root in a matter of days, perhaps longer. And yes, you most definitely can tie anubias to driftwood. In fact, they do better there than in gravel. Besides, since anubias are not very tall plants, it will do them good by positioning them higher (on driftwood, as opposed to gravel) - this way they'll be closer to light and so they'll receive more light and will grow better. Good luck :)

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Thank you Very Much!!

Very Helpful.. I am getting them today, so I wanted all the help I can get :)

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The rubber bands will work and will not hurt your tank or fishes in any way but as Isabella said the black cotton thread is almost invisibe.
    I think everybody just about covered the plant placement question.Way to go guys and girls ;)
    Carol

6. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I don't know what I was thinking about the placement, lol --

I was sitting there wondering... "why the heck would it matter where you put it in the tank?" lol lol lol

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think the placement is generally suggested based on how tall the plant grows so it doesn't block you from seeing other plants when looking at your tank. Here's a placement guide:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=5

If you've already decided on what plants you are getting, you could also look them up and I think each plant profile suggests where placement should be in the tank ;)

8. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Thanks Gunnie :)

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Adding to the advice about placement, try not to plant a "foreground" pland right beside a larger plant, as the light may be blocked from them.

10. bullhorsetook Initiate Member

Enjoyed reading this thread. I have never had plants in a tank but I am considering a small ten gallon set up.

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Hehehehehehehehehe. The MTS continues! ;D