local WalMart stopped carrying fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omgami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My local WalMart stopped selling fish! Its been several months since they emptied the tanks however when I inquired they were just cleaning the tanks and restocking. As time passed the tanks were cleaned, filled with water and left empty. I kept thinking that it was just a matter of time until the unfortunate fish would be back in the store. I asked again about the fish and the plan right now is to not carry fish. I'm very happy because in the past there were always dead fish in the tanks, algae on the glass and lots of little betta bowls stacked on an end cap. Maybe someone finally listened to the customers and stopped torturing the fish!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Knowing Wal-Mart, they weren't listening to anything but their profit margins. The ones around here have eliminated their fabric sections and severely cut back on the sewing and yarn supplies because they just weren't making enough money. And honestly, now that I think about it, they don't have fish either, just supplies. But whatever their motivations, it's definitely better for the fish!

-Lisa

chef_cory

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my local walmart had fish in stock but ya no one ever took care of them dead fish in tanks that had been half eaten. they were at one time selling some that were covered in ich.. thankfully their fish section was turned into a seasonal department

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I too have seen the horrible treatment of Walmart fish tanks. Please do not buy from them. I understand the want to "save" them from their disgusting prisons,but you have to think long term with companies like this and hope they lose money and stop. If you try to "save" them Walmart just thinks they are making more money and doubles its orders.

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the same problem exsists at my wally world as well,they just dont have anyone there that nows how to take care of them and they really dont care.i know this cause my wife works there as a personel manager,she tells me horror stories about this place.i no longer buy fish there cause all the ones ive picked up end with ich and most only lasted a week or two.i boy caught wallmart pet areas!!!!

DoublexL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i work for walmart in the automotive area, but ive gotten most of my fish from there. Im assuming the guy that works that department actually cares, i hear him always talking about different things that he does for the tanks and very rarely do i see anything dead, maybe one a month, and i go by there almost daily. even the plants in the tanks look good. but i do agree that walmart should not carry live anything, because most employees just dont care enough about their job.

OP
Omgami

Omgami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i work for walmart in the automotive area, but ive gotten most of my fish from there. Im assuming the guy that works that department actually cares, i hear him always talking about different things that he does for the tanks and very rarely do i see anything dead, maybe one a month, and i go by there almost daily. even the plants in the tanks look good. but i do agree that walmart should not carry live anything, because most employees just dont care enough about their job.
You are lucky to have someone there that cares for the fish. The problem here is that no one ever really knew anything about fish and the dead fish would be half eaten in the tanks. I'm relieved that the fish tanks are finally empty.

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used to live in Biloxi MS. The walmart there stopped carrying the fish a few years ago, but before they stopped there was an AMAZING guy there that obviously knew his stuff! He loved every single one of those fish and took care of them every time he was there. I know this because he used to live on our street. :] But ive recently moved (military) and the ONLY place within an hour drive to buy fish is at walmart. There is a lady who works there that love the fish, but im not sure she knows all that much. Well I bought my blood parrots from them. I was very picky about which ones I chose. There were a few that looked like they were blind. I felt so sorry for them :[ They usually do have dead fish unfortunately. I also wish they would stop carrying fish, despite how far a fish store is. I still wish they would stop. Fortunately I found a GREAT fish store. It makes me SO happy to see, clean tanks, healthy fish, and a great store owner! He knows his stuff and he recently helped me out by taking an angel fish I couldn't keep.
There are good stores out there, rare, but occasionally there is still hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 73 68.9%

Top Bottom