Local Fish Store: San Jose, CA

1. cameronpalte Member Member

I really want a good fish store that works well in the San Jose area. Yes, I can order online, but I prefer to find a good fish store in my area so I can go there fast in emergencies and no shipping. Here are some things I like for the fish store.

*Good Prices. I don't want really high prices excluding of stock.
    *Supplies. They have a large variety of items for a good price, and they also they have many necessary items (prime, ect.)
    *Tanks. They also need good tanks and quality kits. I really like the aqueon starter kits, and they should be a good price.
    *Health Fish. Good healthy fish to buy.
    *Large Stock. Very large stock of nearly any fish ect.
    *Buy Fish. Buy fry for small prices cash preferred.

Anything else you think is necessary. Only provide reviews for places you have visited. Must be within 30 minutes of San Jose.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Thread moved from the reviews section as it isn't a review :)

3. mike831 Initiate Member

Subscribed to this thread. I'm from Monterey but would prefer to buy from SJ (I've ordered online and shipping costs hurts). I did a yelp search on a few LFS in San Jose and got mixed reviews (one particular LFS in SJ had horrible customer service).

4. cameronpalte Member Member

Yeah heard of that LFS, I think it was King Aquarium. I buy all my supplies from pet co because of cheap prices, but looking for place to get fish. Best of luck and I hope we both get what we need.

Edit: http://www.yelp.com/biz/neptune-aquatics-milpitas#query:aquarium store has seem to have gotten some good reviews online only 2 bad ones I saw so what do you guys think?

5. mike831 Initiate Member

^ I'm assuming you're from the San Jose area. Would you have a recommendation on a decent LFS? I'm only an hour away and it beats having to pay for the ridiculous shipping cost from a San Diego vendor I've dealt with. Looking at adding shrimps (no idea on the breed right now) to my tank.

6. cameronpalte Member Member

Neptune Aquatics looks like a great saltwater store but its freshwater isn't as nice as I would like, still looking. Also, even with the ridiculous shipping, if you think the san diego vendor is ok, can you pm me? from what I saw at neptune aquatics, they have some shrimp in their, ghost and red cherry all I remember.

7. mike831 Initiate Member

I don't believe I have the PM capability yet. Hopefully it isn't against the rules for posting vendor information, but I ordered through aquariumfish(dot)net. Their shipping cost is always ~$27 for what ever number of fishes you buy (fishes are shipped at 3pm and arrive early next morning). They also have EXCELLENT customer service and the fishes I received were very healthy. Hope this helps.

8. cameronpalte Member Member

This does help, I'll go check them out. Thanks for the post, and I'm pretty sure this should be per forum rules but not 100% sure. You need 50 posts to pm.

9. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Not sure if they are still around, but I grew up in San Jose and I use to go to Davey Jones Locker on Story Road growing up. It is a mom and pops store so they don't have a huge selection of Tanks but very knowledgeable people. It was owned by an old asian couple.

10. mike831 Initiate Member

@cameronpalte: Any chance you've checked out Neptunes Aquatics in Milpitas? I checked out their website and they carry blue/gold/electric blue rams, which I am interested in purchasing since my GBR died this morning. :(

11. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

There's Aquarium concepts in Dublin off of Dublin blvd. Pretty large selection and knowledgable sales people. Next door is Petsmart too.

12. mike831 Initiate Member

^Looks like a nice place, but unfortunately it is almost 2 hours away from where I'm from. I'll keep them in mind if I'm ever in the SF area. I'm going to try Neptune's next weekend assuming they have rams in stock.