Loads of snails!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I got my tank back in April I got some live plants and some snails must have come on them because I spotted a couple around the tank. They were multiplying, but they are only small and they weren't doing much and were eating some of the algae so I left them there. Now theyare still multiplying and yeterday I counted at least 16 tiny little snails in the tank. They are all over the place.

What do I do? How do I get rid of them?

I don't want 16 snails!! I don't mind a few, but 16!!!

Gwenz

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: Loads of snails!!!!!!!!!!

I have the same problem, it started in may. I don't now what to do. Some one told me to just Squish them, and the the fish will eat them? .

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

They won't do any harm. I actually find the 10 million snails in my 20g quite fascinating. If you observe them you will see interesting behaviors. I don't really believe in killing any animals unless necesary (like if the snails were eating all your plants).

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score

As long as they aren't MTS, you could send them all to me. I welcome any and all snails except MTS.

But yes, if you smash the shells, some fish will eat them.

ewiz06

Reaction score

I wouldn't suggest ending their lives prematurely, as they will not harm your tank at all. They will certainly help to keep it clean. However, I understand the fact that they may not be visually pleasing to you. If you must part with them, I would suggest scooping them into a net, placing them in a water-filled container, and giving them to a friend. Anything but "squishing" them.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Actualy it's my mum that wan't to get rid of them, they don't realy bother me and like you said they help clean the tank. Maybe I'll just have to talk her round .... :-\

Gwenz

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score

I love watching my snails. They came over the same way yours did. And they took over Satin's tank. I keep trying to move some into my bigger tank but they never seem to do as well there, which is surprising because there is probably a lot more food waste in that tank and definitely a lot more algae. Maybe these snails need a little salt to do well. Thats the only difference that I can think of.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score

the snails in my 10 gallon tank are driving me crazy,i think their is about 20 , they are very Small
my 50 gallon nursery tank just has 1 and it seam to be the largest out of them all at about 3 millimeter's.
that one does not bother me since it is just 1

Sam Livingston

Valued Member
Reaction score
Loaches eat snails but may be aggressive towards your other fish, I'm not sure what you have. The common gold fish will eat them and is best way for nature to take its course with the food chain. I wanted to get rid of some since their taking over (I wish I had 16, mine are 80+ now in 3 tanks with over 150 egg sacs spread out). Without killing them yourself (which I frown upon) two best options would be gold fish and I believe they have chemical drops to kill them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom