Loach's fighting?

1. CLE216 Initiate Member

I have two clown loach's and they have been fine for about a month and today it seems like they are trying to kill each other .. Their body's color faded also,, I'll try to post this video if I can .. Anyone else have this problem?

2. CLE216 Initiate Member

Can you post videos here?

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

You can copy and paste the youtube link in the post, and it will appear.

Loaches will establish an alpha, which is what it sounds like is happening.

4. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

This is normal behaviour. The colour fading is called "greying out". It happens when both fish are in the mood to display and test each other's strength. It may be how they sort out the pecking order.

Clown Loaches should be in a shoal of 6 or more (preferably more if room).

My fish do it often. When two fish have finished what looks like quite a violent confrontation they calm down and play as if nothing happened. There is rarely any damage (one of my fish was scratched one time - but that is once in 18 years!).

Enjoy your Clown Loaches fascinating behaviour.

It should do no harm, unless one fish is chasing and biting the other all the time. This can happen and may only be resolved by removing the offender.

Pic here of my two 8" females who often "fight" !

[​IMG]

5. CLE216 Initiate Member

They r huge, can't wait.. Thanks for reply

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to fishLore!
    Everything Redshark said is true :)
    Clown Loaches are wonderful intelligent often rowdy fish. They need to be in groups, get huge and need lots of room. I personally wouldn't add anymore to the group until a larger tank can be provided.
    Here's some more information along with lots of cool pictures.
    http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus
    Carol

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I think one of the issues may be that there isnt enough space. Once the grow(if they arnt already) there will be a dominance fight and restricted space may encourage this. Id deffinetly hold off any more until a larger tank is provided.

8. CLE216 Initiate Member

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have merged two of your threads both dealing with Clown Loach aggression. Putting the video with the question at hand. :)

Thanks!

Ken

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Unless you're upgrading very soon, the loaches and the shark need to be rehomed, though. :-\

11. CLE216 Initiate Member

Ya I do plan on upgrading, been searching Craigslist frequently.. After my water change today I am moving 4 cories to my 10 gal with rest of cories to give little more room for them for now,, red tail has been bugging my albino cories anyways

12. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

To give you proper tank sizes to look for, the shark will require 75 gallons, some people get away with a 55 gallon tank.

The clown loaches need at least another 3 in their school and will require 125 gallons.

13. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Looking at your video, it appears you may have yoyo loaches. Hard to tell knowing that they are greyed out and all that activity.

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I believe they are angelicus loaches, botia kobotia (sp?) - yoyo would be my second guess. 100% not clown loaches though.

after a second look, I'm 99% sure they are angelicus.

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Definitely not Clowns. These won't get as big but still need more in their group to spread out the activity and more room.
    Carol

16. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Beat me too it. lol, ive had them before in a much bigger tank :p
    Something in the 55gal, 48" long area would be aproppriate for 4-5 of them. They will fight until then, dont worry too much on it. So long as you arnt seeing any limping or listing they should be fine, though as soon as they have buddies youll be in the clear hopefuly.