loaches

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well gues both my cories are dead now and i am ready for a new bottom feeder this time i would like to try loaches. As much as i have read they like to be in groups and i havent found one smaller than 2 inches. Are they just like corys as they are fairly large and like to be in groups or are there any out there that stay small or dont mind being alone because i dont have a ton of space for them. So basically what i am saying are there any small ones 2-3" that like to be in groups of three or are there any larger one 4-6" that dont mind being alone and will they take care of flake food on the bottom? I am debating on getting loaches or shrimps.

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

hehehehe kuhli loaches are 2-3 inches and like to be in small groups. They're like cories but they're loaches and cuter IMO ;D

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yes but they like sand and i think it was butterfly who said the angels might view them as food so thats not good and i dont have sand so why torcure them

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

do you have angels then? And yes they prefer sand but they will be happy in gravel too, as long as they have company :)

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yes i have angels my tanks are on my website you can look if you want

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i am on the chatroom on it too if you wanted to talk that way

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Go to www.loaches.com and click on loaches species index. I can spend hours looking at those beauties and reading their profiles. ;)

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

wow, I just looked on there and hillstream loaches are cool! Now I want one ;D They only grow 3 inches and are pretty much loners?

9. AnnaEA Member Member

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Um I think you could still add a betta with 3...correct me somebody if I'm wrong...

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes Emma the Hillstreams are really cool!!! I have nine in one tank and seven in another. They prefer an unheated or fairly cool tank. they look like little space ships swimming from one place to another.
    When looking for loaches atmmachine816 a couple of things you want to look for are temperature requirements( some like it cooler), temperament (some are little hoodlums- Skunk Loaches) and some get huge(clowns).Sidthimunki's (think I spelled that right) are the smallest loach at probably 2 inches. but they are hard to find.
    First you need to figure out why the cories died and make sure your tank is in good shape before buying more fish.
    Carol

12. AnnaEA Member Member

I don't think I could have three loaches and the betta, Emma -- that would be 12 inches of fish to ten gallons.

Maybe if I were more experienced at this all, I'd give it a try, but right now I am a chicken newbie who doesn't want to risk over stocking her tank ;)

Anna

13. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well i think the cories just died from old age but i have decided to not get loahes and just get a variety of shrimp as i have become very interested in them, right now i plan on ghost shrimp and amano shrimp and am doing research on others

14. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

If you want a better method for calculating inches of fish you can have, take the length of the tank (inches) times the width to get the surface area, and then divide by 12 in. This is based on each 'average' tropical freshwater fish needing 12 square inches of surface area per inch in length to support them with enough oxygen. In other words, a 20 long can support more fish than a 20 high. The volume of water doesn't really tell you how many fish you can keep. If your 10 gal is a standard 20x10x12, that gives you 16.6 inches. ;)

15. AnnaEA Member Member

Another method I've seen for figuring it is 4 square inches of surface area per inch of fish -- by that measure, I get 12.5 inches of fish!

*lol*

But I'm a newbie, and chicken, and don't want to overstock my tank and end up with dead fish.... So I'm going with the lowest estimate!

16. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't call you a chicken, just sensible...a huge mistake of many newbies is to overstock.
    Another thing to keep in mind is you can probably have more fish in a planted tank than an un-planted one. Wait...how did you get less inches with that 4 inch rule?? Shouldn't L x W / 4 be more than L x W / 12?? What are your tank dimensions?

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes i am using a rule similiar to that I wrote about that in my book reading diary and that's what i am doing, though antabotaids/labrynth fish need only about half as much as all other fish and small fish like guppies need 1.5x1.5 square inches of fish and so on. I find the book very interesting.

18. AnnaEA Member Member

Hrmmm... my math was wrong. The other rule of thumb I have seen is that each inch of fish needs a 4 inch by 4 amount of surface - which is 16 square inches, not 4.

Sorry -- math isn't my strong point.

My tank is planted... which is why I'm willing to push it to nine inches of fish in a ten gallon tank -- a lot of other rules of thumb I have seen for the newbie/small tank situation suggest that for a first tank (unplanted) I should try to keep it around 2 gallons per inch of fish.

*shrugs*

19. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Don't worry about it, just add as many fish as you're comfortable with. At 9 inches, I do think you'd be perfectly fine adding another fish, but only do it if you want to. Or maybe wait a while and see if you want another one. But anyway, have fun with your fishies! :) ;)

20. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

Ya from what I can tell the inch per gallon rule is a good guidline to follow in standard tanks