Loaches with Velvet Disease

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by MotherMajesty:), Dec 8, 2012.

1. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

I have velvet on a couple of fish. I found an earlier post that led to an earlier yet post (2006) about treatment. It recommended covering the tank from light and treating with Mardel/Sentry CopperSafe at the recommended rate (1 tsp/4 gal.). I've done both.

I was wondering if there were any developements since 2006 in the treatment of velvet. Also, and most important to me, has anyone successfully treated loaches with CopperSafe? Or treated loaches for velvet with something else?

I have Sinibotia pulchra (banded) loaches, Botia kubotai (Angelicus/Polkadot) loaches, black kuhli loaches, golden dojo loaches, and horsefaced loaches. Loaches are my favorite (no kidding!) and I can't stand the thought of losing them.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I'm checking Loachesonline to see what I can find :)
    Hope you don't mind I moved your post out of saltwater and into the Loaches forum :)

Just click quick links and then my threads from the drop down to find it.
    carol

3. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Sorry about that! In my hurry to post, I didn't even realize that. I appreciate your help putting it in the right place.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  4. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Not finding much online re: loaches & velvet. Maybe loaches don't get velvet much? That doesn't seem likely, so IDK where to look now.

One thing I did find said it's OK to use CopperSafe but at 1/2 the dose. Oh no! I did a whole dose. I just completed a 50% WC to get the concentration of the med down to 1/2 of what was recommended. It was only in the tank for maybe 2 hours between the whole dose & the WC, so I hope I got it down in time. I guess I can only wait now. :(

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

This is the reply I got to my question.

Loaches are really sensitive to coppersafe so good job on the water change. I love loaches, please keep us updated on their illness.
    Carol

6. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Thank you, Carol!! I actually saw that post last night when I was looking for info! :) I really appreciate your help. I'll keep you posted on the loaches. They came out to eat last night, so that's a good sign... I hope!

7. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Even though I'm not getting much in the way of help here (except for Butterfly :;a2 - and thank you very much!!) I thought I'd continue to post in case it might help someone else down the road.

I found another post online recommending covering the tank to treat for velvet. The reasoning is that the disease organism contains chlorophyll and covering the tank keeps them from using the chlorophyll as an energy source. See link below.

It's hard keeping the tank covered. I always want to be peeking at what's going on. So far no casualties and the loaches (and the others) ate well last night.
    :innocent0001:

8. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

If it is down to chlorophyll you may be able to sneek peaks under green light ... just use your dogs eyes as a torch teehee

9. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

MM- evidently Loaches don't often get velvet which is a good thing. Yes :) Glad their being active and eating well. Does the velvet seem to be going away?

I found this interesting article. Although I don't think I would use salt except as a last resort.

Carol

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  10. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

LOL! Unfortunately, Louie (my dog) doesn't have any interest in the fish that compete with him for my attention. Maybe it's time to invest in a light with "night light" capabilities?

11. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Thanks so much for sharing that link, Carol. It was great info!

12. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

No significant changes. All the fish seemed eager to eat, but still seeing the velvet on 2 loaches & a molly. Hard to do a head count due to the # of loaches and the # of rocks/plants/wood in the tank, but no casualties that I could see. Hoping that's a good sign. Keeping the lights off, and covering the tank as much as possible - except for feedings.

13. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Any further developments ?
    Carol

14. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Hi Butterfly, Thanks for asking! I lost one of my 12-banded loaches (sinibotia pulchra), and they're my absolute favorite. The others seem to be OK so far, but I thought they all were doing OK until I found the one near death. At least it doesn't seem to be getting worse in that no additional fish seem to have it. Also lost 2 mollies. Then I found a white spot on a rainbow, so I've raised the temp to treat for ich, too. Not having much luck around the fish this month! :( Will keep at it.

15. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

How is your Loach?
    carol

16. MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Hi Carol! Thanks for asking. I didn't lose any more loaches (thankfully), but I did lose the rainbow. Otherwise everyone came through the velvet/ich treatment OK, but you've seen my latest post re: bloated fish. Will continue there. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. ;)
    --Maureen