Loaches Temporary In 5 Gallon? Question 

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 5 gallon without a filter or a heater, fully planted though. And I will purchase a filter tomorrow. The tank has been set up for over a month and a half. Is it possible to put the loach temporarily in the 5 gallon? (Right now they are in a 75 gallon and they are also small about an inch). I want them to eat the snails and detritus worms. If I can put them in for how long should I? I also do a water change every 2 days.

I also do a water change every 2 days.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why not drop a snail in the 75 and wait till its eaten instead of stressing the Loach by moving it from a 75 to a 5? Are you planning on a Betta for the 5 gallon? He/She will probably make quick work of any detritus worms once it acclimates.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
Why not drop a snail in the 75 and wait till its eaten instead of stressing the Loach by moving it from a 75 to a 5? Are you planning on a Betta for the 5 gallon? He/She will probably make quick work of any detritus worms once it acclimates.
Not planning on any fishes yet and I’ve heard one snail can reproduce without needing 2, don’t want snails in my 75 gallon. Maybe I should crush it?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm 100% against crushing snails. but thats me. I'de just leave em in the 5 for now.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
My denison barb ate it. So the loaches couldn’t get to it first.

kallililly1973 said:
I'm 100% against crushing snails. but thats me. I'de just leave em in the 5 for now.
What about the detritus worms? I really want to get rid of them before another outbreak.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd forget about detritus worm as they will come and go

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some species of loach dont really go after snails, so it's worth asking... what loaches are they?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
Some species of loach dont really go after snails, so it's worth asking... what loaches are they?
Yellow and black. So yoyo loach i think..

The temps 22 Celsius though

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom