Loaches In a 20 gallon

John634720

I have a 90 gallon tank with 10 red minor tetra and 10 black skirt tetra and 5 zebra loaches I was wondering if I could keep just 5 loaches Ina 20 gallon tank with no other fish or if that was too much they are each only 3 inches and done growing they are very shy and stay hidden alot

A201

There should be no problem keeping the Loaches in a 20 gal.
as long as plenty of filtration & hardscape is provided.
Try YoYo Loaches in your 90 gal. They are very active Botias.

Linda1234

It works better if it is a 20 long. I'm not a fan of yoyo because they can be a bit unpredictable with regards to behavior. Also you need at least 6; and they can at time under the right condition get quite large. I have one that is around 6 inches and another that was a wee bit bigger that recently died when my filter intake became clog. dwarf chain loaches are small but hyper active in the right environment so you might want to try them.

John634720

These are zebra loaches about 3 inches each

Linda1234

Yes; I have 10 of them in one my tank and they will not get much larger. The comments were that a 20 long provides more swimming area since they don't use much vertical and then there were some comments on yoyo vs dwarf chain loaches for your other aquarium. Zebra loaches are a favorite of mine but they are a bit more passive than some of the other loaches which is both good and bad.
These are zebra loaches about 3 inches each

John634720

What do you feed yours I've fed mine mostly frozen food but I would like to try some other new foods and would they get along with a Betta

Linda1234

zebra loaches won't harm a betta but i have no clue how the betta would react though I think the loach would 'win' if there was an actual fight. I feed mine pellets mostly omega-one catfish and shrimp pellets as well as hiraki catfish pellets. I have not found them to be picky eaters but some of them are more shy than others. i would say about 5 of them come out immediately when i feed the other fishes and the other 5 mosey around at random times.

John634720

I tried carnivore pellets from hikari and they don't really seem too interested but my anglerfish will eat them whole

Linda1234

Hum. My angels prefer flakes so i feed them oemga-one flake which is mostly salmon. I hate using flakes because they make a mess in the tank but at least the clown loaches like swimming through them 'vacuuming' them up. I tried to get my angels to eat other stuff and one loves pellet but their first choice of dry food is flakes. I picked up some igaloo explorer and will be feeding that to the loaches next week so i'll see how they react. One thing fer sure if you are feeding them frozen foods they probably prefer that over anything dry.
-
For a while i fed them frozen bloodworms once a week but stopped after a year for various reason including annoyance at obtaining them and some horror stories i've read. I might try frozen myst (sp) shrimp one of these days when the pandemic is over.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
YellowGuppy
  • Question
Replies
Views