Loaches for betta?

FishRule4208

I have a 5.5 gallon tank for my betta Primrose. We are upgrading her to a ten gallon soon. Could i put khuhli loaches in her tank? I would prefer to het them now in her 5.5 gallon and keep them after the upgrade. If i couldnt get them what other bottom feeders would work with her? What other fishy tankmates could i get for my betta?19387625-1569-419E-A062-8594861F653C.jpeg

Best Answer - View Akreia's answer

Katie993

I've heard kuhli loaches work really well but i've never had a betta calm enough to try them. You really need more than one though and I would wait until you get her in the 10 gallon to add anything else.

Akreia

Hello

I keep loaches (pangio kuhlii) in a 47,5 gallon tank. Now they are over 3 years old and around 3,9 inches.
Because of their size and urge to move I would not recommend loaches for a 10 gallon tank.

PaprikaFish

You could try dway corys, there are 3 species that would work well in a ten gallon:
1: Corydoras Pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory)
2: Corydoras Hastatus (Dwarf Cory)
3: Corydoras Habrosus (Salt and Pepper Cory, but make sure to double check the scientific name when purchasing, as there is another cory sometimes sold under that name)

These commonly work well with a betta as they stay on the bottom. A school of 6-8 would ensure that they have plenty of friends, as they are social fish. Make sure to have sand substrate, which will allow them to dig around and play without hurting their barbels. As with any betta tank mates, introduce them first (so that Primrose will think that they "come" with her territory) and have a backup plan in case it doesn't go well. :D

Edited to add: Other fish commonly kept with Bettas in 10 gallons are Ember tetras and Chili Rasboras, both a species of nano fish. Make sure to keep a school of 6+ if you're interested in them.

New Threads