Loaches eating snails! Yay but what size tank

inari

So I read that Loaches are bottom feeders that eat snails (THey are also supposed to be pretty goofy) I have a 55-gallon tank with 2 angels, between 9 and 11 neons depending on the day, a BN, and a group of 5 speckled cories.

Would Loaches be OK? I am fine with them eating those annoying ramshorn snails. I think those cursed snails are chewing holes in my amazon swords!!!! THoughts?
Thanks, guys!

A201

Yo Yo Loaches should take care of the snail infestation & get along fine with your current stock.
I keep at least ten of them. A very pretty & active Loach. Look at stocking five or six YoYo's & providing plenty of hardscape for them.

Attachments

• 20211111_191858.jpg
    20211111_191858.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 2

Noroomforshoe

The cories might be a little bothered by loaches. Cories are calm little catfish. Loaches are boisterous food steeling bull dogs. most species of loaches would not be nippy or aggressive, just rowdy. The skunk loach the tiger loach, the jaguar loach and a few others are exceptions as they are aggressive, so please research any and every species before buying.
You need to find a species that will fit in your tank in a school of 6+ when full grown, so no clown loaches or dojo loaches. I have Yoyo loaches and Angelicus loaches in my 55 gallon. I had zebra loaches, they were great too. Most loaches eat snails, the exception there may be kullies, and hillstream loaches,

Redshark1

I think its a bad idea to expect a fish to cure your problem. My Clown Loaches didn't eat snails until they were 24 years old. Clown Loaches need to be in a social group of six minimum preferably more and six would need a minimum 180g 6' x 2' x 2' tank.

inari

I think its a bad idea to expect a fish to cure your problem. My Clown Loaches didn't eat snails until they were 24 years old. Clown Loaches need to be in a social group of six minimum preferably more and six would need a minimum 180g 6' x 2' x 2' tank.

Not expecting a 'cure' to the problem, just some help. I have tried the raw zucchini to attach them overnight, and these little (insert long stream of military-grade profanity here) are smart enough that they rarely even look at the bait. I caught about 8 of them over the past month this way -_-

Yo Yo Loaches should take care of the snail infestation & get along fine with your current stock.
I keep at least ten of them. A very pretty & active Loach. Look at stocking five or six YoYo's & providing plenty of hardscape for them.

If that is a picture of a Yo-yo Loach they are really pretty (my wife would be extremely happy!) When you say to provide plenty of hardscapes what do you mean exactly? I have a gravel bottom, a large 'rock' formation that is an air filter, a Groot air stone, 2 'large?' pieces of drift wood (maybe more like medium), and a Pleco cave that my BN never uses. Would this be enough for them or would they require something else?
The cories might be a little bothered by loaches. Cories are calm little catfish. Loaches are boisterous food steeling bull dogs. most species of loaches would not be nippy or aggressive, just rowdy. The skunk loach the tiger loach, the jaguar loach and a few others are exceptions as they are aggressive, so please research any and every species before buying.
You need to find a species that will fit in your tank in a school of 6+ when full grown, so no clown loaches or dojo loaches. I have Yoyo loaches and Angelicus loaches in my 55 gallon. I had zebra loaches, they were great too. Most loaches eat snails, the exception there may be kullies, and hillstream loaches,

Do you think adding extra cave areas for the Cories to hide in would help them out? I also have three 'largeish' Amazon Swords, 1 Anubis (might be dead still trying to determine) 4 bronze crypts, and 1 mass of fire moss. I am looking to increase my plants in the future, but extra caves would be doable as well.

Thanks for the feed back guys!
~Inari

Noroomforshoe

Are you asking? Would extra caves make it better to keep both cories and loaches? I can't guarantee that, my loaches explore every cave and empty space. It could be fine, I have never tried it, I added a pleco once that was less then an inch when i bought it, he grew up and lived for 5 plus years despite the 12 - 15 loaches I had. That was a bristlenose, My tiny Clown loach was probably smaller then a bronze cory lived whith them for 11 years.

inari

Are you asking? Would extra caves make it better to keep both cories and loaches? I can't guarantee that, my loaches explore every cave and empty space. It could be fine, I have never tried it, I added a pleco once that was less then an inch when i bought it, he grew up and lived for 5 plus years despite the 12 - 15 loaches I had. That was a bristlenose, My tiny Clown loach was probably smaller then a bronze cory lived whith them for 11 years.
I think that answers my question! Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
Replies
Views
MD Angels
Replies
Views
beavlee123
Replies