Loach

1. aquariumfishlover Initiate Member

Interested in getting a dwarf loach for fish tank but all i found are tropical loaches. Can anyone recommend a freshwater loach that isn't too big.
    Thanks.

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Kuhli loaches are smaller, come in some different styles/ types and are very fun to watch. What sort of loach are you interested in? I personally have some Golden Eel Kuhli loaches and love them.

What size tank will you be housing them in? and what other fish are in the tank? This matters because it's hard to suggest what will work with your aquarium.

3. aquariumfishlover Initiate Member

20 Gallon freshwater tank with one goldfish and 6 zebra danios what type of loach could go with that? I'
    I'm guessing a small one.

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I'd go with what @shayla1 said. You could put a group of kuhlis in a 20. They're really a classic tropical fish. They're colorful, active, amusing and peaceful. But they do like to be in groups. Solitary loaches don't do as well.

5. aquariumfishlover Initiate Member

i havent got a heater will they be fine?

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hmm, I don't think any tropical fish is all that well off in a tank without a heater, but I live in a seasonal climate. I need a heater. Depending on the climate where you live, a heater may not be an absolute requirement. What is your water temp? Is it constant?

7. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I think all All loaches heating and need to be kept in groups so im not sure how you would go finding on that could be kept with goldfish.

8. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Oh geez, I missed the goldfish part. It pays to read the whole post, I guess.

Yes, loaches and goldfish have different requirements. That won't work.

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there and welcome!

I agree with what's listed above but it's also important to note that the tank is already over-stocked with the current stock.

A 20g alone should only house about one fancy goldfish in the long-term, most esp if you don't have a larger tank when the 20g is outgrown. If it's not a fancy and instead is one of the longer-bodied goldfish, then it's a bit worse as they are not only huge waste producers like the fancies but they are also competent swimmers and need a lot of room to swim and play happily.

Between the danios and the goldfish, your biofilter is already going to be stretched to the maximum. Adding more fish of any kind would not only make a stable cycle difficult to maintain but the over-crowding would be quite stressful on the fish.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I really would not recommend anymore fish for this tank at all :(

10. aquariumfishlover Initiate Member

Thanks for the help I would not add anymore fish I take the advice.