Loach type ideas please! Thanks

rpddink

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very sorry, thougt I pasted it as a quote! I now feel bad - my first scolding on fish lore!
I always want credit to go to the person whomit is due.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
When you copy and paste information, it's important to give credit to the source otherwise it's plagiarism. That was written by Mark Thoene and is posted on www.loaches.com.
Actually it's Martin Thoene and you are exactly correct in your advice.
Carol

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol I got mine first day lol Ah I love this web site!

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are Botias not aggressive? I think I read somewhere they were. But I would not have any experience with that. Are loaches similar to Corys or very different?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my skunk loaches are in a community tank, but it has more boisterous fish such as congo tetras, zebra danios and dwarf rainbows also the rosy red minnow thats in there thinks he is one of them and will swim with the skunks. As I stated before I do agree that skunks are probably best not with corries.

hollie526 said:
Are Botias not aggressive? I think I read somewhere they were. But I would not have any experience with that. Are loaches similar to Corys or very different?
no botias are not aggressive, botias such as zebras, yoyos, angelicous and the others that have been mentioned (except for skunks, which are not botias) are not aggressive and should be fine with your fish. Loaches are fairly similar to corries in that they spend the day searching for food and will play with one another, but loaches don't usually stay on the substrate as much as corries do. I keep both and I like loaches better, but that's me.

It should be noted that the skunk loach is not a member of the Botia genus, it is in the genus Yasuhikotakia, which is the same as the dwarf chain loach.

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do all Loachs need or want to bury themselves in the substrate? Before I add them I am changing my substrate first to a 1-3mm size and black (keeping knee high pouches filled with the old substrate all over the tank till established) it will be better than the current one I have as they are smooth and large but it's a mix of mostly big sized pieces. It came with the tank. I think that would be fun to watch a fish burying itself and leaving only it's head and tail sticking out. I saw this at big Al's and it was very interesting.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My skunks are in black gravel that I got from petsmart, I have never actually seen them bury themselves but they do wedge themselves at the base of the plants. I suspect they might bury themselves as there are times when I cannot find most of them, depite how hard I look. For all my other loaches I have them in a pea gravel, also from petsmart. I have not seen any of these loaches bury themselves and have never heard of them doing that for other people. I have only heard of skunk and koolie loaches burying themselves in the substrate, I have never heard of Botias burying themselves.

If the loaches are going to bury themselves it would most likely be in sand. I doubt they would do it in larger size gravel, but other than that the large gravel will be fine for them provided its smooth and no sharp edges to it, if your corries are doing well in it the loaches will too.

As a side note, all loaches like to rest on their sides, they get very still and look dead. This may scare you the first couple of times but you should get used to it. This is just one of the fun and amazing things loaches do

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ya I read that thanks for reminding me I will have to make it a point to tell my family so they don't panic lol!

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neither one of my loaches bury themselves, they do however like hiding in the rock cave or under the driftwood.

They also swim around with my barbs. Its quite amusing!

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was able to find at my LFS 6 Dwarf Chain Loaches but they had them labeled as Dwarf Siam Botia. 3 of them are colored just like the pic when a google search is done for Dwarf Siam Botia and 3 are colored just like the Dwarf Chain loach. But I'm sure they are all the same they just look a tiny bit different. They are so cute and I'm glad I got these guys. Now I want either the yoyo or Zebra I wonder if the Dwarfs and which other loach I get will hang out?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom