Loach type ideas please! Thanks

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I want to get some Loaches for my 100 gallon, a type that stays small as an adult, preferably under 4"- to eat the pond snails that I got with all my live plants! These PESTS are eating my plants! I need a type that is for sure safe with my various Corys , Plecos, Ottos and Danios. Any one have any ideas on types for me to consider and maybe experience with them being good community fish with the above fish?

RuanMaritz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well what about a skunk loach they look cute to me

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It kinda looks like my bandit cory lol are they calm and peaceful?

RuanMaritz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
im not sure but i think they should be peaceful but they are very active and enerjetic

hagmegsis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rosy loach, black kuhli loach, golden dojo loach, and clown loach are the only types I know of cause im new to fish. Rosy are only about 1" full grown then next in size are the black kuhli after that they are probly to big for what you are wanting.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you already have corydoras, you need to be very careful which loaches you add to the community, as the loaches may completely outcompete the catfish for food, they are both species that are normally looking for food on the tank floor.

This was one of the factors that resulted in me getting a group of Brochis multiradiatus (Hog-nosed Brochis), as their larger size and semi-boisterous nature meant they would not be bullied by my Weather/Dojo Loach group.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Skunk and zebra lozches get about 4 in. yoyo loaches get a little bigger. They are all good at eating snails and should be fine with your corries, just put some form of sinking food in there for them. I use sinking shrimp pellets plus regular flake food.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Skunk loaches are aggressive if I recall correctly.

I would stick to zebras, yoyos, queens or angelicus loaches. Many of the botia loaches can be aggressive though.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you got 6 skunks they should be fine with your 11 corries in the 100 gal, but it is true they are pretty much the most aggressive of the loaches so it might be best not to get them. The zebras, yoyo, and angelicus would all be fine though. The zebra is by far my favorite, but can be hard to find.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Loaches.com says skunk loaches are not suitable for a community tank....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maritzruan said:
well what about a skunk loach they look cute to me
Skunk loaches are very cute but so aggressive that they are frequently advised to be kept in a species. Mine were a brat pack! They did great in their tank alone even though though they were very rough with each other. They were to rough to keep with other fish.

In that size tank a large group of Dwarf chain Loaches would be perfect
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-sidthimunki

Carol
Jaysee +1

inncogneatoh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi!

As others have said, skunks would probably reek havoc with your other fish friends.

Zebra loaches on the other hand..they're fun guys that like to chase their own kind around the tank. I got a few to help with the snails that were introduced from some plants I got and they have done a sterling job in controlling the snail population.

They've also been very peaceful (so far) being with my neon tetras, kuhli loaches, amano shrimps, zebra danios, otos, cherry barbs and swordtails.

(as always, I'm still a relative noob, just talking from my limited experience)

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My Corys actually all my fish won't touch any sinking pellets and I have 3 types on hand. I always end up cleaning them out. All my fish love Algae wafers. Oh the snails will eat the pellets though but who cares what they like.
I have 4 tiny Otos will any of these view my baby Otos as dinner?? Zebras look cool. I was also considering a dwarf or as suggested by hagmegsis the Rosy loach does any body know if dwarfs eat snails also?

RuanMaritz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh sorry i didnt know that i just thought they would look nice

hagmegsis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im pretty sure dwarfs eat snails too but Im not 100% sure.

hollie526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They don't seem as available though.

rpddink

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
skunk loach = Considering its relatively diminutive size, this is a very feisty loach species, which is not suitable for community aquariums. Must be maintained in groups of 5 or more in order to spread any aggression and to allow the fish to form a natural hierarchy.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Skunk loaches are quite aggressive, if I recall. I wouldn't try them.

You can go with Dwarf Chain Loaches, albeit the fact that they're ridiculously expensive these days ($12 each at my LFS!), or zebra or yoyo loaches. These three species are a bit more placid and community-suitable.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rpddink said:
skunk loach = Considering its relatively diminutive size, this is a very feisty loach species, which is not suitable for community aquariums. Must be maintained in groups of 5 or more in order to spread any aggression and to allow the fish to form a natural hierarchy.
When you copy and paste information, it's important to give credit to the source otherwise it's plagiarism. That was written by Mark Thoene and is posted on www.loaches.com.

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would recommend angelicus botias, zebra loaches, sumo loaches or red tail loaches.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads