Loach-Safe Preventatives?

JustAFishServant

I've wanted a golden dojo/weather loach for my 200g with 3 small, egg-bellied goldfish. I've done months of research and understand that they eat the same diet as goldfish (homemade gel food). I know they can grow up to a foot/30.5cm but are usually only 6-8"/15-20cm in home aquariums and thrive at 65-73°F/18-24°C; the same range that egg-bellied goldies prefer. They're one of the best tankmates for goldfish! Now that I found a healthy one, however, I'm afraid he'll introduce disease. What are the best disease/parasite preventatives that are safe for scaleless fish? Thanks all :)

A201

Loaches don't hide diseases very well. If he looks chubby & active chances are he's healthy. Loaches in general are one of the first species to exhibit symptoms at the onset of a disease outbreak.
The owner of my favorite mom and pop store pre-treats new arrivals w/Melafix. Pretty sure its Loach safe.

JustAFishServant

Loaches don't hide diseases very well. If he looks chubby & active chances are he's healthy. Loaches in general are one of the first species to exhibit symptoms at the onset of a disease outbreak.
The owner of my favorite mom and pop store pre-treats new arrivals w/Melafix. Pretty sure its Loach safe.
I didn't know that, thanks! He was the chubbiest, healthiest and didn't seem to hide all that much at the store, though I'm not sure how active they really are or should be. The others were acting a bit odd - one would swim fine then the back end would float (swim bladder issues?), the other stayed at the top floating sideways and didn't react to the net. Then again, I've heard that's how some loaches sleep. This guy wasn't floating or acting what I would perceive as odd so I think I'm good. This is my first time with a loach species so I'm sure I'll be in for a few surprises. Apparently they're hand-friendly - the goldies like to eat out of my hands or "investigate" my arms during water changes :)

A201

I'm a big fan of Loaches. I currently keep at least 13 Botia Loaches. They all have unique personalities. Good luck w/ your new guy..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
  • Question
110 Gallon Tank Obese Loach
Replies
Views
SinSins
Replies
Views
Soxrobin