Loach Fiasco

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

So I hear a lot of splashing and I instantly am on alert. I know Sharkie is a jumping species of loach, and I've heard the occasional little plop. But this was lots if splashing. I look over and everything is calm. Weird. And then I see a little red tail, sticking out of my submerged filter. I freak out, unplug the filter and get my brother (idk why) and get the filter media out carefully. I tilt the filter and along with the water in the filter, out comes Sharkie. He doesn't have any physical injuries that I can see. My heart was racing really fast. No pictures, was just worried about getting my fish out.

2. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Already swimming about again. Now I'm paranoid.

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Okay, help. He just did it again. I saw most of it this time. I heard splashing, look over, and see him on the ledge of the filter. He then purposely swam into the filter area. When i went to get him out, he was already out. Thinking either turned around or the filter pushed him out. He's fine. At least I know that if I'm not here he will probably get out fine.

Why would he do this again? And he seems to be doing it on purpose.

The circled green is the ledge. ac07d1059fd5f75886d6351e971a9319.jpg 2dd8dcd2d3253a911adc59a9bd511230.jpg

4. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Maybe he likes it. Like some fish swim in the flow, others don't.
    Maybe it's just a preference thing.

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

That's what I was thinking. But is it really necessary to get IN the filter?

6. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

He definitely likes it. Just did it again.
    This time, I looked more closely into what he was doing. He gets himself up in there and just sits in between the wall and the little filter thingy. Sometimes he will swim a tad to fight the flow. He got mad because I thought maybe he had wedged his face in and slowly took out that filtration part, causing him to go back in the tank.

I've had him for over a year and he just started doing this. This is odd. Has anybody else had this happen? In the morning i might take pictures of the filter to give you a better idea of where hes at.

7. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Try putting a mesh cloth over the out flow. Do it for a month and maybe he will loose interest

8. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

What do you mean?

9. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

If you cover the area where he goes in with a mesh it will stop him from getting there

10. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Hm. I don't know how to do that?